Push vs pull

1. Madforwelding45 Member

Hey guys this mite be a stupid question. But you normally push the gun mig welding . But is it true you get more penetration if you pull

2. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    I have seen several videos where they say it doesn't really make much difference.

3. atomant48

atomant48 Member

Salisbury UK
    I’m a total amateur so can’t comment on the technicalities but I find it easier to see (and therefore control) the weld Pool when I push.

4. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Your weld will be more visually appealing pushed.
    Pulling the torch tends to create a peakier weld profile. Pushing flattens the weld out.

I’ve done procedures with a pulled torch (trailing gun angle) and they’ve passed.

You do need to be careful with your gas, on butts. Very easy to have a lack of gas coverage if your travel speed is quite fast.

Burdekin and slim_boy_fat like this.
  5. earthman Member

To me pulling the torch feels more natural than pushing so I've kinda stuck with that,...now I can blame that for my welds looking crap then.:laughing:

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  6. R-D-R Forum Supporter

I’m a amateur I push and pull, probably 90% of the time I push though.

tons of opinion and content on the web some of it is this opinion some of it has physics behind it. I’m sure for professional applications there are key considerations but if your new I would just get stuck in. Push is easier to see, control and looks better so try and lean towards that but don't get hung up on it if your starting out.

7. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Me too. I was taught stick welding and only used stick for years so always pulled it along so when learning mig it was a little weird pushing the torch.

If it produces slag then pull, if no slag push.

123hotchef likes this.
  8. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    MIG - generally push 75-90 degrees, position my head so I can see the front of the puddle.

Stick - generally pull around 75 degrees, position my head so I can see the back of the puddle.

9. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

We tried a pulse mig on aluminium at the welding suppliers and when you pulled the torch there were black spots in the weld, pushing was perfect indicating that gas cover was lacking in the pull weld. Increasing the gas flow didn't make any difference. On steel I tend to use whatever direction is convenient.

Munkul likes this.
  10. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

No matter whether pulse or standard spray Mig on Aluminium you should always push unless there is absolutely no physical way that you can.

stuvy, Mr Roo and Munkul like this.
  11. Mr Roo Member

yeah, pretty much this. spent a number of years MIG’ing aluminium extrusions for curtainwalling. Anything from 5mm to 25mm plate. Best result achieved by weaving, but never pulled unless totally out of position.

Hood likes this.
  12. Madforwelding45 Member

Cheers guys . I was using a mates jasic mig 250 over the weekend I found it easier to push at least I could see the joint in front of me. Maybe that's just me. What a sweet little plant it was

Hood and fizzy like this.
  13. earthman Member

Just been watching this video on the pull and push techniques, interesting cross section pictures start at 2.26 :)

Bluemotion, Dcal and Madforwelding45 like this.
Advertisements