Protection after welding

1. Ian King New Member

Hi everyone. This is my first post and I’m hoping I can get some advice before I take on my first project.
    I’ve got my welder and I’m ready to do some welding, but I’m a bit stuck as to what the best protection to use after I’ve welded and dressed the welds up.

After welding an inner wheel arch for example - do I apply a Shultz or something straight on ? Do I need to prime it first ? What primer ?

I’ve came across people using epoxy primer to new welds then paint or shutz over the top (depending if it’s under body or painted panels) any iadvice would be great.

I just don’t want to weld my new sill on for example and then having rust bleed through by not using correct primer etc.
    Thanks Ian

2. Rusty

Rusty Member

South West
    I use this -
    https://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-protection-and-rust-treatments/electrox

Ian King likes this.
  3. optima21 Forum Supporter

I used to use Bilt hambers Electrox applied by brush and then gravotex applied by brush. and the rust stated to show through in places. also zinc primers don't have good adhesion. for the past 4 or 5 years I've just been using Jotun jotamastic 87 on its own without ant topcoat. it seems to be a better long term solution in my case

Dcal and Ian King like this.
  4. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Repair or restoration job?
    Repair job a good few coats of primer 1st then a good going over with a PU sealer,wait for that to go off/cure then stonechip it shutz or whatever

Ian King likes this.
  5. As always, the answer is epoxy primer. What was the question again? :whistle:

Ian King and Dcal like this.
  6. Ian King New Member

This one is a repair to my Bedford Astra but the astramax will be a full resto

7. Dcal Member

Agree epoxy is the way to go, I like Jotun 87a but other flavors are available.
    The 87a will work on it's own, but you can apply a stone chip if you prefer the look and a seam sealer is always a good idea to fill gaps. (Epoxy first though)

Do not use schutz, it's tar based and the work of the devil.

Ian King likes this.
  8. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Astra van,cool,got offered to take one away about 15 yrs ago,old F reg,had to say no had no where to put it :(
    Now you've mentioned a restro jobby,you'll have to start a thread on here,with pics thems the rules:laughing::laughing::laughing:;)

Ian King likes this.
  9. Ian King New Member

I’ve got and f reg diesel van that’s needing a bit work. At the minute I’m putting a few patches in my g reg van to get it through it’s Mot. (Be using it daily)
    After the year the astramax is getting started full strip down so I’ll defo add pics

Shedendman likes this.
Advertisements