Pricing for welding projects

1. Adam Marshall Member

I'm sure this has been asked before on here but I would like more current prices. I am wondering how much to charge for some 12ft gate for a customer. Something I struggle with is quickly saying a price when looking at jobs without driving away thinking I could have got more. Any help would be great.

2. Theblackbox Member

Hourly rate x how many hours it will take you allow some for faff and snagging
    Materials
    Consumables
    Fixings
    Any finishing

Add all that up and then add a percentage for profit

that’s how I tend to price. I never give a price if a customer asks for it straight away I always take an email and then forward across when I’ve looked through it all even if they are persistent you could give them a ballpark figure if you have done a similar job before and are confident

remember as well you shouldn’t get every job you quote for!

Arash, James1979, Parm and 3 others like this.
  3. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

This. ^^
    You could add to that, the cost of delivery, if appropriate.

Nor should you quote for every job you might be offered. :whistle: ;)

4. Adam Marshall Member

Thank you for that thats a big help I have a pair of gates to fabricate arch tops and ball rail heads its a pretty straight forward job but they do want them fitting aswell.

5. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

cheak out where they want them fitting if the wall/floor not secure or loose you may not beable to fit them when finshed

Nick DV likes this.
  6. Adam Marshall Member

There to be fitted on brackets on the brick pillars that go through to an rsj inside the pillar. I think its more than strong enough for my job but thanks for pointing that out.

7. Theblackbox Member

I like that last bit really comes with experience and maybe developing a bit of an attitude! sometimes the job is alright but I just don’t want to work with the customer!! I’ve had this a few times where I don’t get the right feeling maybe it’s about payment or I think the customer is going to be a royal pain and just isn’t worth it.

8. Adam Marshall Member

Do any of you ask for deposits?

9. bigegg

bigegg I drink and I know things. Its what I do.

Materials cost up front
    Non refundable.
    But it does depend on ' gut feeling", and area, unfortunately.

Mark 2 and Arash like this.
  10. chunkolini

chunkolini celebrity artiste

fifty percent deposit up front everytime.
    Also include a sucky teeth/haggle factor.
    ie, if they haggle, frown, suck in through your teeth 'ssssssss' and make an offer. you have added at least 20% on in the first place.
    oh and a 'hassle factor' if you dont like the look of the job at least 20%.
    if they bite your arm off you have not charged enough

cocker, bigegg, Ashley Burton and 2 others like this.
  11. Arash Member

I usually do what has already been suggested, I set an hourly rate then plus materials, access hire etc.. on top of that is your company profit margin. Mine is 30% and never below 20%.

Any job over £500 and its 50% upfront. Its not just about trust but commitment. I have had the go ahead many times to do a job, then having sourced materials and labour been told the day before or even when I turn up that some has already done the work or that something has changed and they want to put it on hold.......

If they are annoying I add hardship fee as well! hahaha

chunkolini likes this.
  12. Adam Marshall Member

50% deposit? blimey do many customers get put off by that? I've drawn the gate design and got the customer to sign this just incase they change there mind half way through it being made, they was very indecisive on what they wanted.

13. a111r Member

Hello mate! :D My friend's Company term it the 'w***** tax'.

14. Arash Member

Hi, Hahahaha pretty much that.

a111r likes this.
  15. tom2207 Member

if they cant pay 50% up front ,,, how will they pay 100% at the end ??

if they cant pay enough to cover your costs up front ,,,,, wait till they can before you even think about starting
    you may as well sit at home for nothing ,,, as work for nothing.

bigegg likes this.
  16. chunkolini

chunkolini celebrity artiste

50% always, maybe 30% if it's a decent sized job.
    if they cant/wont pay fine by me. If I like them and the job I might make an early start prepayment but very rarely.
    Nobody 'needs' what I do, it's almost always meaningless if tasteful luxuries.
    I've been asked how I can justify my prices as I like that I do, I say easily.

a111r likes this.
  17. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

We would be lucky to see payment within thirty days of completion on just about any of our work, the bigger ones are 60 to 90 days :dontknow:Certainly no chance of a deposit.:vsad:

Bob

tom2207 and James1979 like this.
  18. tom2207 Member

but your probably not just knocking up a pair of gates ,,,,

19. Mikes Member

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a deposit for something like bespoke gates as generally a pretty useless items to you if the customer backs-out of the deal. Suspect most fabrication shops have the odd item loitering in the corner where a customer changes their mind. One guy local to me has a £7K folly in his yard where the customer dropped out and he hadn't had a deposit and customer won't even answer his calls.

20. julianf

julianf Member

Its not the same work, but i just quoted on a job, which im outsoucing part of and doing a bit of myself.

So, in my case, its -

outsourced cost
    + materials
    + a reasonable day rate
    + a bit of contingency / danger money

Customer can take it or leave it. Id like the work, but, when the quote is tight, reduce the contingency part, and it could all go too far wrong.

Advertisements