Practice for weld test

1. Rich#1984

Rich#1984 Member

I’m practicing for my first weld test at work in my new job any advice would be great all my weld are looking like this

• 75B0D9FD-ED5D-4FF0-B384-F18C1A1AC074.jpeg
    • 49FB95C6-7C30-4958-A67F-3DBEDD486688.jpeg
    • 494A7588-0468-4501-A0A7-841E7D1AAC80.jpeg
    steviec_lj likes this.
  2. Joe Irvin

Joe Irvin New Member

Hi @Rich#1984, what is the test exactly and what standard are they coding you to?

In my experience, inspectors like to see smooth welds with good fusion on the toes. Try to avoid weaving or “whipping” and instead run nice and hot with a steady travel speed. This leaves no room for doubt when they MPI and scrutinise the finished article.

Pay attention to your root fusion and make sure it’s punching right into the joint - if they’re cutting/etching the test piece you don’t want it to fail on lack of pen!

Finally, if it’s a multi run weld, pay attention to your weld profile and keep it nice and neat. On your cap, run the bottom bead (sitting on the flat plate) first and finish with the top run.

Snip your wire between passes/start-stops to give yourself clean starts and keep your test piece clean (flap disk before tacking up, wire brush between/after passes). Make sure you knock the spatter off before you let the inspector at it!

Best of luck,

Joe

3. DTS Member

Looks like your torch angle was way low? Some long chevrons there..

4. henry Kadzielski Member

As Joe has stated above the weld must look flat (miter) with good fusion in the toes. I have some pics in the 'stuff you have made' section of what it is supposed to look like. Mind you they didn't happen over night like that, it did take practice and fiddling to get them like that. Don't know how to look that post up, some one may be along to say how.

5. Rich#1984

Rich#1984 Member

It’s not a coding test it’s just a in house test but it will be cut dyed and just a visual.
    So constant speed and higher torch angle?

6. davidjohnperry a different breed

Is it for structural test usually 8 fillet weld and a multi run 10/12 fillet test

7. davidjohnperry a different breed

I'll post some photos of a test welds

8. davidjohnperry a different breed

Can't find a test pic I'll do one tomorrow on some scrap but here is a 8 fillet weld I think

• IMG_20180910_172616_559.jpg
  9. davidjohnperry a different breed

@Rich#1984 are you working for billington structure

10. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

are you dragging that ?id be pushing

another wee tip,always pre heat to above 100c as condensation forms in the joint when you weld on cold plates then comes out as steam ! you will have pores and worming on the surface .

davidjohnperry likes this.
Advertisements