Power Supply Tripping

1. Barry Hoys Member

Hi not sure if this is a stupid question but I don't know much about electrics / power supply....

I bought a TecArc Prof-MIG 180 a year or so ago and in general it has been great. It is single phase 180A and has two 'coarse' power settings (1-2) and 6 'fine' settings (1-6) so 12 power settings in total. The only issue I have with it is that it trips my garage power supply (standard 240v as far as I am aware) when on the 2 highest settings (i.e. 2-5 and 2-6). As such I can only use up to the 2-4 setting.

Is this normal / to be expected? If so is there anything I can buy (like an adaptor or summat) or do to allow me to get the full power out of the machine?

Any help much appreciated!

Cheers

2. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    Are you running it on a normal 3 pin 13a plug?
    If so then that's your problem. Most likely it requires a 16a or even 32a supply.

eSCHEn and brightspark like this.
  3. brightspark

brightspark Member

you need to look ,at what size miniature circuit breaker or fuse feeds the garage and what size cable goes across and what's on the end of it. eg a socket or a distribution board before we can give advice

4. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

if ur in a workshop at the end of the garden lets say I prefer the old style fuses....
    this modern stuff on 13amp won't take the spikey load......
    luckily I'm on 3phase now but before I had a dedicated circuit with the older type fuse just for the welder....

fizzy likes this.
  5. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

u could upgrade of course but that cost's money and mostly we just make do....

6. Barry Hoys Member

Cheers everyone. The garage is actually at my parents house (I live in a flat), I'll have a look at the weekend and see what I can figure out. It is a circuit breaker which is tripping rather than an actual fuse, that much I know ha. The plug is 16a I believe but it has an adaptor on it and is plugged into a regular domestic 3 pin socket.

It's not a big issue as I don't normally need to weld anything more than say 4mm; I just wondered if there was a quick fix that would allow me to use the highest settings for thick bar etc.

Cheers

7. brightspark

brightspark Member

it will be a 2.5mm cable on a 16 amp breaker more than likely. just change the plug on the welder to a blue 16 amp one and you may have to change the breaker to a c type instead of a b its stamped on the breaker which it is

8. Barry Hoys Member

Ah cool thanks for that, I'll give that a try this weekend! Cheers for your help

9. baldy Member

kent uk
    Its called in-rush current, a big surge of current when striking up which trips the breaker.A (b)type breaker will handle 3-5 times its rated current for a small period of time then trip, whereas a (c)type breaker will handle up to 5-10 times its rated current for a small period of time.A D type is even higher.Im still medling with my power supply, although a 16 amp c type breaker on a 16 amp blue plug seems to be holding its own.

10. gaz1

gaz1 Member

i prefer to run my 16 amp in a ring main system than a single 2.5mm cable on a breaker then i can have dual blue socket one sid of workshop and one dual socket on the other side

11. brightspark

brightspark Member

2.5 is rated up to 23 amps or higher depending on installation method. you can put a string of 16 amp sockets round the workshop on a radial circuit as the power is limited to a 16 amp mcb

Hopefuldave likes this.
  12. Barry Hoys Member

I can confirm fitting a C type breaker solved this. Cheers again

Advertisements