Power supply for mig

1. slihp Member

After many years of wanting to, I am finally buying a MIG welder for a restoration project on my van. Before I purchase the welder I would like to check I can power it from properly.

I have mains power into my garage to a small consumer box where I run a normal 13amp extension reel out to my van for any power tools work, will this be suitable for MIG welding?

the work is all welding patch panels in and I was looking at getting the Sealey SUPERMIG180 180Amp Professional MIG Welder.

if this is not suitable what are my alternatives?

thanks

2. tom2207 Member

that will do the job ,,, id buy the oxford over the Sealey , as in my eyes it welds better , but either will do well , and sealey do have great back up .
    I repair chassis with that set up at one place I work , and have no problems at all. chassis can be 2.5mm and fairly long runs , for lighter stuff you will cruise along. The Oxford has a spot timer option too , that may be handy to you , the Sealey hasnt , or at least the older one I use hasnt.

3. slihp Member

Hi thanks tom, and it will be fine running that over a 13amp extension ? all my pack panels are 1.2mm

4. tom2207 Member

yep totally grand .
    But dont leave the extension coiled up on the reel , flake it out , or use a loose extension cable , 2.5mm arctic works fine , and used to be cheap as chips , not so much now though.

Hopefuldave and slihp like this.
  5. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Quite thick,what van is it?

6. tom2207 Member

lots of truck cabs are that thickness

7. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    I know,but no mention of truck or cab though;)

8. tom2207 Member

I also patch land rovers in 1.2 through choice , very good in round floors and wheel arches and the likes , the extra wee bit of thickness works well as a heat sink and can actually make welding thin stuff a lot easier , trouble is it isnt as easily rolled or shrunk if your making the awkward sections in the front of rear wheel arches in discos ,, or so I find.

9. slihp Member

the van is a chevy g30 which is the bigger version of the A team van. I also have a landrover hence why I think its time to develop my welding skills :-)

10. Matchless

Matchless Member

essential...………..

11. Parm

Parm Let The Games Commence

which character are you?

12. slihp Member

Lol

• aviary-image-1539464625911.jpeg
    slim_boy_fat and Ruffian like this.
  13. qwakers Member

the sealey supermig180 is speced for a minimum of a 16a supply with a 32a supply specified for full power.

a excerpt from sealeys website.
    smig.png

14. slihp Member

Hi thanks, yes i saw that, I will get the appropriate wiring setup installed, I already have the beefed-up blue cable. I was just wondering in the meantime if I could get this patch panel work started on the 13a extension reel i.e. will the 1.8mm panels draw enough?

15. Ruffian Member

Got a supermig 185.
    Will run happily at setting 5 of 6 all day long but setting 6 after 50seconds or so of continuous welding will take the 13amp plug fuse.

But then that's more welding 6-8mm steel.

16. slihp Member

ah great, im just starting out so it will be a series of tack welds very slow to avoid warping and get used to the process.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  17. metalmelt Member

I would contradict everyone here and state that I would wire the garage correctly with at least 30 amps to give you a margin, install the correct breaker in the consumer unit and use your smaller breaker to control your lights and sockets, this way you have security and safety and adequate power when you are running a small compressor, welder, lights, and anything else you have plugged in, if you do an assessment you can calculate your power consumption and many garages have inadequate power to run the things they run.

I have a large workshop and had to upgrade to 3 phase many years ago; best thing I ever did.

Nauticus likes this.
  18. brightspark

brightspark Member

if the garage supply isn't far from the supply and is wired in 2.5mm cable you can run it on a 25 amp mcb the welders probably 16 amp so not a problem power wise .its not good running them of extension leads depending on length and cable size. a reasonable length one of 2.5mm will be ok without getting 2 much voltage drop

metalmelt and slim_boy_fat like this.
  19. metalmelt Member

Wouldn't disagree Brightspark and I wouldn't make any assumptions which is why I asked the question and made the suggestion.

brightspark likes this.
  20. metalmelt Member

Can I suggest looking up hammer welding because this is a technique where you hit it with a large tack and hammer it out as the weld shrinks and removes most distortion.

slihp likes this.
Advertisements