Power master torch hop-up

1. Munkul

Munkul Jack of some trades, Master of none

I've been after one of these for a while... Anyway Express made sure it would work on a plain updown torch, and then sent me this :D

• 20200911_164406.jpg
    • 20200911_165708.jpg
  2. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

They’re great

3. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

guess thats amps then...?....never used a tig.....sure looks smart...

4. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

Very smart & clever

5. Robbie260 Member

Ah you can up grade your torch may have to do it too mine if i can though its just the plain start stop and secondary amperage setting one.

6. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Can you play snake on it?

Munkul, 8ob, Brad93 and 2 others like this.
  7. Munkul

I've put around 10 hours on it already now, and it's perfect for what I do.
    I've been using the updown torch since last year, and setting two job programs on the handytig works perfectly for welding box section, since I'll have the butt joint set 20 to 30 amps colder than the fillet. I have literally tens of thousands of 50mm welds to do on batches of trestle legs over the next few months, and using the job programs helps speed and quality. The major downside of the updown torch is having to look at the machine to check your amps.
    With the powermaster, it's right there at your hand. Saves a few seconds per weld... It all adds up over thousands of welds!
    The other thing it does well is in normal adjustment mode, tweaking the amps is faster than ever.
    The two programmable parameter slots... Not sure how useful these are tbh. All I ever want to change is amps or job. Nice to have, though.
    If you're working by the hour, it's a nice to have, a fancy gimmick maybe.
    But if you're working by the job, then honestly, this torch is simply brilliant.

Brad93 likes this.
  8. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

On the MIG, it is literally invaluable.

9. Munkul

Matt tells me the next version will have Tetris ;)

mtt.tr likes this.
  10. Munkul

I bet it is! It's definitely on the spec list when I do get a Lorch Mig eventually.

11. Munkul

If your standard torch has the newer style cable and connection in the handle, it can take the powermaster control :) according to Express.

Robbie260 likes this.
  12. Robbie260 Member

Cheers will have too look into this further

Munkul likes this.
  13. Munkul

I got a secondhand double push button a-LTG-2600 last month as a backup/gas-cooled for mobile work. It has the larger size 2 handle, but the control cable and black button shroud is the same size and type as my water-cooled a-LTW-3000 with size 1 handle. So I simply fitted my old up-down buttons into it, and they work just fine for raising/lowering amps and job mode.

2020-09-22 12.10.46.jpg
    2020-09-22 12.06.47.jpg

I haven't tested it, but I think the powermaster insert will work in it too, there's no reason why it shouldn't.

I was told when i bought my machine that if I wanted a powermaster torch, it would have to be an "I" intelligent type with temp sensors etc.

I'd say the way to go about buying a powermaster torch would be to spec a double push button plain "A" type torch, since they're much cheaper and simpler than the "I" type torches. Then simply add a powermaster module like I have.

Brad93 and Robbie260 like this.
Advertisements