portamig 215

1. retro-classics New Member

ashford kent
    hi guys, my portamig 215 has developed a stutter, the wire feed jerks, cleaned roller and checked tension, replaced wire and torch, unloaded the motor is fine, correctly tensioned it judders, would it be the motor brushes or the motor it self breaking down? tia for your replies. Graham

2. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

sounds like a gear to me if it stutters. normally a motor would just stall, but i could be wrong.
    You really need to test the motor independently of the machine to confirm what was wrong with it.

3. eddie49 Member

Hello, and welcome to the Forum!
    - do you get the same stuttering/juddering if you put a load the feed roller by gripping it with a gloved hand?
    - maybe there is too much tension on the MIG wire spool hub. There should be just enough braking effect to stop the run-on of a full spool at full speed. The brake is normally adjusted by a hex bolt or Allen screw in the centre of the spindle.

4. daedalusminos Member

Have you checked to ensure spool tension is not too great...sounds obvious but worth checking.

5. retro-classics New Member

ashford kent
    hi eddie49, i've been here on and off since 2011,( bought the machine new from weldequip back then) no idea why my message count has gone down to 1? i cannot stop the motor by hand i have tried, maybe the grooved roller has worn out? i have cleaned it just to make sure. Always run it on a 5kg spool.

6. retro-classics New Member

ashford kent
    hi daedalusminos, spool tension has never been adjusted in all these years, but i have tried to see if more or less tension helps but alas it doesn't affect the juddering of the wire.

7. eddie49 Member

To bypass any issues with the Eurotorch, the liner, or the tip, you could try with another torch if you have one, or remove the torch and jumper across the two small torch pin sockets to get the machine to feed without a torch in place.

Does the wirefeed stutter when just feeding wire, or only when actually welding?

Maybe that is possible, I don't know if the groove on a feed roller can wear out and deepen. Have you used the machine a lot in the last 9 years? Is there an alternate-sized groove on the same roller, so you could swap wire size to test? Or test 0.9mm flux-cored wire in a 0.8mm groove. I expect that Tec-Arc have knowledgeable support people ( if you can reach them ) - maybe you could discuss the problem and get them to send you a new roller on a sale-or-return basis.

8. slimjim Member

UK Cumbria
    Mines has done it in the past and it was the spool tension being too tight, it was a long time ago, since I last used it though.

pondy likes this.
  9. retro-classics New Member

ashford kent
    hi eddie49, sent an email to tec-arc yesterday and waiting a reply, normal use would be 40 hrs a month, so not overly used, there is a 0.8 groove that i could try, i will buy some 0.8 wire and let you know, the wire feed stutters just pulling the trigger without trying any welding( that is just blobs now).

10. retro-classics New Member

ashford kent
    hi slimjim, nobody else is in my workshop to touch my equipment so i wouldn't have thought this will change, but i will take a look. Thanks for your thoughts.

11. slimjim Member

UK Cumbria
    Same as me, it just seems to progress over time.

12. retro-classics New Member

ashford kent
    Hi all, update time, removing the new 0.6 wire to replace it with 0.8 to check the roller, i noticed the wire reel does not spin freely, removed centre nut and greased up the centre of the wire and cleaned the spindle, retightened centre nut it now spins freely and back to being welder again. Thank you everybody for your input.

johnyev, eddie49, Nick DV and 2 others like this.
Advertisements