Porsche 911 coolant purge

1. earthman Member

Anyone been watching Speed Freaks on ITV4? On the last episode, the car needed it's original ECU to be refitted so that they could refill/bleed the cooling system of air after an hose came off and dropped all the coolant.
    Is that just a Porsche thing? I've never heard of that before??

2. anto44

anto44 Member

Some cars require auxiliary pumps and valves to be operated to bleed out. Common on newer stuff

zx9, mr haynes and stuvy like this.
  3. Bobtail4x4 Member

yorkshire
    I thought beetles were air cooled?

steviec_lj and mr haynes like this.
  4. earthman Member

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

stuvy and arther dailey like this.
  5. earthman Member

So when these vehicles are running normally, are these valves in place of say the thermostat or are they an extra/add on feature?? Unnecessary and far too complicated I'm thinking,....do they have any plus points??

anto44 likes this.
  6. anto44

anto44 Member

Depends on the car, if it's automatic for example you can have heat exchangers in the gearbox which have an electric pump and shut off valves to allow for quicker warm up. Some cars will use auxiliary pumps to supply the interior heater matrix.
    Most of it is mainly down to making engines get up to opperating temperature as quickly as possible to reduce emissions.

stuvy likes this.
  7. owas

owas Member

My xjr has a coolant pump for the heater matrix and one for the intercooler, along with the normal water pump.

I think I read they designed it so it warms up very quickly, heater is warm by the end of my street.

8. hotponyshoes Member

A lot of newer cars have an electronic water pump (or 2 or 3..) mainly emissions reduction but do have other advantages:

Less load on a cold engine,
    Faster warm up,
    Can keep running after engine is turned off to cool the turbo, alternator etc,
    Runs when the stop/start is active to avoid hot spots / heat cycling in the engine,
    Easy to fit a cabin heater,
    Some cars have a 'rest' feature on the air con so you can keep blowing warm air into the car for half an hour or so after parking up and turning the engine off.

9. earthman Member

Amazing, what will they think of next hey.

Advertisements