Polishing metal

1. Fred Trevvett Member

Hi, newbie here and not sure really if I'm in the right place but hopefully someone can help

I'm making an engine table and the block needs shot blasting all over. We will then spray it gloss black. However I want the gasket surfaces to be smooth bare metal - not exactly polished (to a mirror effect) but just how they would be from the factory. How do you suggest I get a clean, smooth finish on the gasket surfaces, without interrupting the paintwork? Should I:

Blast > polish > mask polished areas > spray
    Blast > spray > protect paint somehow > polish
    Or maybe a completely different method I haven't thought of?

Thanks in advance guys

Fred

2. hotponyshoes Member

Blast with the head(s) still fitted although a chemical clean and a pressure wash would probably be enough if it's an alloy block
    Polish face (scotchbrite drum wheel for a factory finish)
    Spray glue a head gasket down onto it or bolt the head back on.
    Paint.
    Pull off gasket and wipe adhesive residue off with thinners/alcohol/acetone.

SteScouse and slim_boy_fat like this.
  3. Wallace

Wallace Member

What engine is it? If the block is cast iron then I would consider degreasing, paint stripper and then a dip in citric acid rather than shot blasting. The gasket faces will look good and shine up if needs be with Scotchbrite or wire wool then you can mask them off and paint the block. Chrysler 383 I did.......

D9EDA463-E4C1-4076-A084-B07B056CC3FA.jpeg

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  4. Fred Trevvett Member

5. Fred Trevvett Member

6. Wallace

Wallace Member

I’m unable to view the image due to folder permissions.

The Chrysler engine started out like this.......

0E4FB09F-2157-46CC-8AEA-006B56896432.jpeg

7. Fred Trevvett Member

Sorry permissions updated now. Would shot blasting be more expensive or cheaper than acid dip?

8. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    The issue with blasting i find is the abrasive particles getting embedded in the surface of the part. If it gets into the oilways you would have a hell of a job getting it back out.

I find the citric acid brilliant at rust removal though.

9. Wallace

Wallace Member

I couldn’t compare costs but used Deox-C and a pressure washer on that engine as it was being rebuilt so shot blasting was out of the question. I was unaware of Citric Acid being much cheaper and similar to Deox-C at the time, the problem is a suitable container to hold enough fluid and dip the block into.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  10. Fred Trevvett Member

Ok thanks for the replies. I'll Pressure wash it first and see how it comes up then I'll make a decision

11. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Welcome aboard, Fred :waving: This sounds like an interesting project, please keep us up to date with progress.

12. Fred Trevvett Member

Thread resurrection:laughing:

This engine has kind of been put on hold while we prepped another one (Touareg V10 - why do one when you can do two;)). That is now ready so once lockdown is finished and shot blasting companies/acid dip companies/paint shops are open again we'll hopefully start making some more progress.

Also - if anyone wants any touareg V10 parts let me know, most are available and in full working order, including torque converter/gearbox/transfer box.

13. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    One of these is perfect for de rusting. I would use electrolysis - using a car battery charger and washing soda. Much cheaper.
    You can pick up a used IBC for next to nothing. Cut the top off and it makes for a great tank.

[​IMG]

14. Melvyn Best Member

To polish gasket surfaces I would use a flat piece of wood and a sheet of emery paper, a few minutes work . If the block surface doesn’t clean up that way it must be pretty bad and would need skimming

15. Fred Trevvett Member

Excellent idea re electrolysis @fizzy - will look into that one, cheers

fizzy likes this.
  16. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Loads of videos on YouTube about it. Also plenty on threads on this forum.

Advertisements