Plunge / Track Saw

1. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Just bought a workzone saw from Aldi....only one Ive seen under £150...it was 80

Anyone had any experience

The track has a rubber edge that looks to me as though it could get cut off when first used

2. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

It should be cut off. Run it at slowest speed and 10mm cut depth edit(don't cut any stock when doing this just hang the rail over free space.)
    This becomes your splinter guard. Line the fresh cut to your cut marks.

No experience of there saw but was an early adopter of track saws.
    Currently have a festool and dewalt. Both equally good.

Go easy on the cut depth and grab some decent blades.
    Bosch have been my favourite for a while now both for longevity and quality of cut.

48 teeth for laminates.
    24 for general work and a rip blade.

dobbslc, 123hotchef, roofman and 2 others like this.
  3. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Thanks for that

I thought it may be a fault

Never had one before so no idea....always fancied one.......Ive got a table saw but sometimes it just wanders off line a bit which is fine for most stuff

My lad wants some shelves making for the back of his pick up and accurate cut needed.

When it warms up a bit I will give it a go

I like Bosch but theres was 900 quid I think........Ive got a Bosch blue sliding mitre saw and its really good

4. eLuSiVeMiTe

Think I paid 260 for my dewalt but running it on my festool rails so kept the cost down.

By bosch I meant boschs Tracksaw blades. These are equally as good with reduced longevity.
    Good price too. Used them for years. https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/3x-Saxton-...stool-Ts55-Bosch/20011385477?iid=271176019881

Brilliant tools. Wouldn't be without mine.

mike os likes this.
  5. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    I never realised the advantages of them till me mate did some work for me and got his out of the van. Saves all the baseplate/blade/kerf/waste calculations.

cford14 and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  6. eLuSiVeMiTe

For work with laminates (kitchens, fitted bedrooms there great. Clean cuts both sides and very quick.)

Rare I need to use a tablesaw with this in the van. Only comes out when there's a lot of repeatable narrow cuts to do.

7. tlovatt Member

Rugby, UK
    As above it can act as a splinter guard but also it means that the saw cut will be at the edge of the rubber so you can normally position the saw accurately and not have to worry about working out distances from where the edge of the saw base will be.

If there is an adjustment on the saw for how it fits onto the track (some have cam levers that can be used to take up any slack in the fit) do this before cutting the rubber edge. If you get blades of different kerf you can get replacement rubber strips and recut to get back to the same position.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  8. eLuSiVeMiTe

Good point. Didn't think about mentioning setting the base to the track. Took it as given.

bigegg likes this.
  9. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Thanks....no mention in the "instructions".....I suppose it is only an 80 quid Aldi job....

10. mpats

mpats Forum Supporter

Aberdeen
    You'll need to do a review once you've had a bit of use out of it. I keep seeing them when I wonder through the isle and thinking I should get one but not sure I need it as I have a circular saw.

11. eLuSiVeMiTe

If you do a lot with sheet goods there invaluable. Also anything laminated or veneered.

Though I'd miss plunge cutting worktop cut outs most. Makes it easy and far safer than plunging a skilly.

Never plane heads and feet of doors these days. Far quicker and easier with the track saw.
    Also for cutting a slight angle on the leading edge of doors. More accurate than free handing with a planer.

There somewhere between a tablesaw and a skillsaw.

12. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Ive got a circ saw plus 2 table saws, different blade sizes, but im told the track saws are more accurate...and you can see the reasoning......Ive been fancying one for ages but couldnt really stand the earache (from the wife) about buying more tools. It looks good but as Ive never had one before that means nothing.

Ive got quite a busy Feb coming up....hospital appointments....so I doubt if it will get used much for a while

13. jack-daniels Member

Have a look at Peter Millard on YouTube, he's just done a whole series on track saws using the Aldi saw.

daleyd, dobbslc, rockweasel and 3 others like this.
  14. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    What are these like on 3 or 6mm ali sheet?

15. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

brilliant....just watched the Aldi one....its a rebadged Sheppach..........I didnt know what those knobs were for.....thanks for the heads up

BTW on Screwfix the cheapest Sheppach is £170...more than double the Aldi

jack-daniels likes this.
  16. slimjim Member

UK Cumbria
    Our Aldi, had 3 left, they are 59.99, second time reduced

bigegg likes this.
  17. eLuSiVeMiTe

No different to a skill saw id presume

18. slimjim Member

UK Cumbria

Correction, they had 4, they now have 3 :whistle:

rockweasel, bigegg and dobbslc like this.
  19. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

really....I paid 80 online

20. slimjim Member

UK Cumbria
    Yes

• 3C863E4C-F35D-41D2-8C38-250AFDD4730B.jpeg
    8ob likes this.
Advertisements