Pickling paste

1. F.J.

F.J. Member

I'm not sure if this is in the correct place as I don't have anything to show (Yet)! So feel free to move it to the right place.

I'm in the middle of building a Coffee Trike using brushed stainless for the frame. I've polished the face of the frame no problem but where I have done a fillet I am finding it difficult to get my flap wheel or stainless brush in to clean it properly. I've heard of pickling paste but never used it and after searching the web I've found a few different products which has left me asking this question.

In anyones opinion, which paste should I go for and where I'd best to get it? I live in Manchester so around these parts would be favourable as I need it ASAP.

Thanks
    Dean

2. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

Try Polinox Rapid, (Red paste) seems about the best of what is available. Buy it off ebay, or it is held in stock by BOC and most decent welding consumable suppliers.

Usual safety warnings apply, it's very nasty stuff!

3. Nasty but good stuff i've used this before on stainless, gets rid of the heat marks and general carbon left from the welding process, Apply with brush leave for a few hours and then jet wash it off

You need to use the correct protection, gloves mask etc, But as with everything like this common sense prevails ;)

4. F.J.

F.J. Member

Thanks guys, can't find it on eBay so looks like I'm taking a trip to BOC first thing In the morning!

5. F.J.

F.J. Member

How much??:o

I wasnt expecting that but if it does the job!! I suppose its could be the difference between me getting another job of the customer or blowing it and not hearing from them again

6. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

30-35 quid i pay.

Good vid, pressure washer is the best way of removing the paste, especially on something with nooks and crannies. What is doesnt show is you having to scrub away at it with a scotchbrite pad to get rid of the white tide mark...

7. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

As Paul says around £35 for Pelinox, If you cant find Pelinox, Antox is another good one looks like clear jelly, buy some of those gauntlet style rubber gloves and a face shield when using it, I keep a bucket of clean water close by in just in case.
    To see what it can achieve though see post 7, here http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=33581

8. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Sorry to bump an old thread. What pickling paste are people using nowadays.

Antox or Polinox?

Need some and don’t mind paying for the best stuff.

9. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

I'm currently using Antox 71E just over forty quid from memory, it used to be called metinox

Brad93 likes this.
  10. James1979 Member

I have good results with esab stain clean. £25 a kilo here. There is a part b to neutralise it but I find a steam cleaner is all you need

11. KemppiFrog Member

I use a jelly type one, bought from the local welding supplies here. €40/50 but a biggish tub. Usual mix of acids, inc. the dreaded hydroflourique, but hardly any haz info on the label. Works a treat. I will go out and see the name.
    Very faded, might be Avinox? and is 2KG.

Advertisements