Pickhill Bantam 180a Refurb

1. MattF

MattF Member

Very similar looking colour. :D

2. Turbo Member

Thought I should update this.

P1040033.JPG

It was painted in 'Record' blue. The colour choice definitely wasn't just to annoy MattF, it just happened to be the only shade of blue I had enough of! :whistle:

P1040097.JPG P1040098.JPG P1040099.JPG P1040100.JPG P1040102.JPG

I used my ebay hydraulic crimper to fit new ends on the longer leads I made up.

P1040103.JPG

Thanks to the board members for giving me the heads up on this, a very useful tool indeed!

P1040106.JPG

Despite my best efforts it produces lovely welds!

Unfortunately the welder has to go so I put it on Gumtree last night. :(

A guy texted me looking for advice on his welder as it was 'tripping'. I offered to look at it but he was too far away so over several texts I offered advice to change the oil & where to source it. Did I get any thank you text? Of course not! :mad:

3. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Banned from forklifts

Perhaps he was related to the guy who asked me for help deconstructing the (identical only in name) Bantam gearbox. It took me about two months to work it out of evenings tinkering. Never heard from him again

Turbo and slim_boy_fat like this.
  4. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

Especialy them JOCKROACHES!

5. Turbo Member

Drill is now sold to a very nice chap who drove 50 miles to get here. Buying it for his son to make some box section gates. They had bad experiences with 2 crap mig welders, I was able so show him this one working.

Made a nice £140 profit as well. :D Badly needed as well as my car needs taxed this month! :rolleyes:

julianthegypsy likes this.
  6. MattF

MattF Member

I'm wanting/tempted to like your finished welder post above, but, Record blue.... :D

Turbo likes this.
  7. Adam Marshall Member

I have the Oxford Bantom 180 it's a great welder, I picked it up from Peterborough in my wife's ford ka (the 2004 model) with my wife in the front and my two kids in the back. Needless to say I was doing 30 the whole way home. (70 miles away). I still use the welder now and again for heavier welding but now I have a decent mig I use that more.

8. Fortis

Fortis Member

Hi, I've had the Pickhill Banham for a few years now, work fine until about two yrs ago when it started tripping the power, today I thought I'd give it another go, still the same tripping going on. Going to check out the 240 power lead. Anything else I can check, or is the welder goosed. Photos of said welder. Is it wired correctly for 240 single phase.

Sean

• IMG_20190929_122309.jpg
    • IMG_20190929_122253.jpg
    • IMG_20190929_122257.jpg
  9. brightspark

brightspark Member

when you say tripping the power do you mean a miniature circuit breaker or the rcd earth trip switch

WorkshopChris likes this.
  10. Fortis

Fortis Member

Trips the breakerin the house, I have my shed wire directly into house socket. Works my other welder flawlessly.

Thanks for reply
    Sean

11. WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

We need to know if it is an MCB or RCD to get an idea of what might be happening.
    MCB- works on an overload principle like a fuse.
    mcb.jpg
    Or a RCD Detects a possible fault to earth.
    rcd.jpg

brightspark likes this.
  12. brightspark

brightspark Member

if its the breaker what size is it my 180 amp takes out the 32 amp b type break the second i turn it on. realy should be a c type but im 2 lazy to change it

WorkshopChris likes this.
  13. WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

Also, something else to consider if the supply is tapped into a house circuit is what other load does the circuit already have on it?

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  14. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England

im quicker than mains frequency hit the zero point perfect

i mean i push the breaker on enough times to saturate the coil

as an aside i would like to put a zero crossing relay on my 110 tranny bit embarrassing when you kill your customers tv, they dont like it!!! wish i was a well kept house wife.

** correction newer information suggests peak voltage turn on is best time to switch and inductive load, which immediately seems odd, but looking the the wave form of volt and current it makes sense**

15. Fortis

Fortis Member

Think I might found the problem, the hi volt connection was bad inside the welder, as in when I took the leads off the head of the copper bolt broke away inside the welder. Now sorted the bolt (touch wood) welder turns on and welds beautifully.

Thanks all, no doubts you'll hear from me again

Sean

• IMG_20190929_140545.jpg
    • IMG_20190929_140858.jpg
  16. Fortis

Fortis Member

How does the saying go again, involves chickens, welders cut out nd won't fire up again, think I'm beating a dead dog here, real shame because it was laying some lovely welds.... Unless someone on here has any ideas what to look at that might be the problem?

Sean

17. Fortis

Fortis Member

Any ideas as to why the welder won't even power on guys. I'm not very astute when it come to electrics

Sean

18. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

There must be an open circuit somewhere. It could be in the incoming supply wiring or it could be the transformer itself has burnt out or a broken connection on the output side.

Only way to find out would be with a meter and if you are not confident with electricity then the best way would be with the welder switched off and use an ohm meter to check for continuity.

19. Fortis

Fortis Member

Thanks will try that .

Sean

20. Fortis

Fortis Member

Embarrassed to say it was the 13amp fuse . I've since fitted a 16 amp plug and been welding on and off all morning with no issues . So now I'm on the lookout for a decent auto darkening helmet for around £30 ish .

Sean

brightspark and Hood like this.
Advertisements