Photoshop

1. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

One for the computer/software guys here.

I have Photoshop 7 on my old desktop [Win7 Home] and two of my laptops [one with Win10, one with XP]. I'm in the process of setting up my 'new to me' desktop and want to install it there too, but I'm damned if I can find the CD and Product Key anywhere [I'm usually very particular with such things, but.......:doh: ]

Can I transfer the programme across by, for example, connecting the HD from my old pc to my new one and simply 'copy to' the programme folder to the "Programmes & Features" area on the C Drive?

Of anyone has alternatives to suggest, please remember you're talking to an idiot......:ashamed: Or and I completely stuffed? :vsad:

2. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

3. aguycalledsteve

aguycalledsteve Forum Supporter

If you don't manage to find your serial are stuck for something to use. Photoshop CS2 is free to use now.

Since they turned off the servers that do key verification. A Serial number is no longer required to activate it, thus making it free to use. Good for what the average user wants to do

Edit: changed to cs2 . My memory isn't what is used to be.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  4. zx9

zx9 Member

I did not know that you could install CS6 without a product key, for a long time it was CS2 or CS3 that could be down loaded and installed that way.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  5. aguycalledsteve

You're absolutely right. It is actually cs2. Apologies for my mistake. It's been a long day today. I've edited my post.

6. Parm

Parm I only give advice if I know

So how do you get the free down load ?

7. gaz1

gaz1 Member

i have photoshop 7 and a few others as well theres some old programs even i like

got everything to go with them as well

photoshop and many other programs are nontransferable from machine to machine unless you have an install disk or a rar file installer

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  8. Kayos

Kayos Member

I know everyone likes a freebie but if you are vaguely serious about photography then Lightroom and Photoshop are worth paying for

I'm heading towards 150k photos, some are 300mb super high res scans and they are all saved, indexed and referenced in Lightroom. I barely scratch the surface with PS but when I need to do something its there to do it

9. zx9

zx9 Member

I am cooking at the moment but will have a look later, I know I got it for one of the laptops.

10. zx9

zx9 Member

In deed but CS2 is non too shabby unless you need latest raw conversions.

11. Kayos

Kayos Member

The new automation stuff, photomerge, focus stacking and hdr etc are way way ahead of what they were
    So is adding graduated filters, lens correction, tilt and shift.........

To me it's worth it, I try get it right in camera but it's nice having the tools when it doesn't work out

12. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Thanks lads, I'll keep hunting for the CD + Key. I only tend to use it now for tweaking Levels and rendering file sizes suitable for email & forum(s) posting.

I'm ashamed to say my Nikon gear is largely unused now :ashamed:, given that my phone is always with me and can produce half decent 'record' shots with care.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  13. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

For simple image resizing I use image resizer for windows, it adds a command to the right click of the mouse, just right click the file then left click resize image and select your options, you don't even need to open the file, really easy to use and free, I resize all the photos I put on the forum with this.

https://github.com/bricelam/ImageResizer/releases/tag/v3.1.0

upload_2018-4-16_19-53-48.png

slim_boy_fat, BarrieJ and Pete. like this.
  14. gaz1

gaz1 Member

i found those in cs3 and cs6 but i learnt how to use adobe 7 got really into it well enough to cut and paste and mask id messed around with it enough id edited and improved an old photo a lady was wanting digitized and saved in best possible settings took some editing and i returned it spot on

lines, creases and old photo blemeshes all gone she was over joyed with the results as id suggested the program to him he was playing with some other software at the time
    he got a copy off me and for that i got left alone all of my employment training program could do whatever i wanted after that :D

other stuff ive done is take a photo take whats needed and placed that pic onto another pic of coarse after doing all the editing you couldnt tell they was 2 different pictures joined into one

but you can only do so much with basic photos raw is even better :thumbup:

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  15. rcx132

rcx132 Philip

Im pretty sure latest Lightroom is now subscription only so no lomger a good deal for amateur photographers :(

16. Kayos

Kayos Member

I pay £9 a month for Photoshop and Lightroom, I still use classic as I don’t trust the cloud with my photos

mike os likes this.
  17. rcx132

rcx132 Philip

£9 a month for a photography business is fantastic, you get support and updates and some cloud space for next to nothing. But considering it used to cost £100 one off that is a huge increase that I won't pay as an amateur.

Cloud can be a safer place for your photos because you're protected against database corruption and because often backups are taken care for you. Most peoples backups are completely inadequate, e.g. because they are kept in the same premesis so if there's a fire or breaking then you loose your computer and its backup, or another common one, is that the backups are accessible from your computer (e.g. BT backups, Carbonite etc), so a virus or hacker can wipe your machine and the backups. So cloud makes sense for most people.

BUT I spoke to Adobe about their Lightroom cloud solution. It is very basic at the moment, and doesn't include any backups. Probably another year or two before they get it up to scratch.

Also most photographers have huge photo databases which would be unaffordable to store on the cloud.

18. Kayos

Kayos Member

To be fair £9 a month that I use weekly as a minimum Vs £10’s thousands in tools that barely get touched still seems like good value to me

19. aguycalledsteve

20. zx9

zx9 Member

aguycalledsteve likes this.
Advertisements