Phone Wiring

1. James1979 Forum Supporter

I know this isn’t welding related at all but I don’t frequent anywhere else online.

I’ve got a BT socket which is in a stupid place. There’s only 2 wires used inside it, the blue and blue / white. I have an extension plugged into it but to neaten things up I want to move the socket.

Can I just snip the ends off the extension and use that to move the box or do I need special wire? Joining isn’t an issue as I have some self sealing BT spec versions of scotch locks.

2. brightspark

brightspark Member

if the 1st in line is the master socket with 2 wires you can extend the cable and use it or you can buy a slave socket and use telephone cable the colours will be from master no 2 blue with white stripe 3 orage with white stripe and no 5 white and blue stripes

Hopefuldave likes this.
  3. James1979 Forum Supporter

Thank you. I really need to move the master as it’s at head height halfway along the hall. Stupid place to put it but there we are.

the wire that BT use is more solid than the extension but I’m assuming that won’t matter too much?

4. brightspark

brightspark Member

if theres is from outside its probably hard drawn cable black in colour .just lengthen it with a joint preferably accessible but just loose it if you cant :)

Welderpaul likes this.
  5. James1979 Forum Supporter

That sounds like the stuff.

I’ll do that thank you.

brightspark likes this.
  6. Parm

Parm You can take a horse to water but ....

how much wire do you need?

I’ve got the proper stuff here, more than I can shake a stick at

I’ll stick it in the post

7. James1979 Forum Supporter

Quite a bit. About 10m. Probably more than you’ve spare

If you do have a bit that length going spare is be grateful. I shall sort beer tokens for it.

8. Parm

Parm You can take a horse to water but ....

ive got a big roll of proper phone cable. It’s the white sheath stuff for use indoors

I’ll cut you some off

9. James1979 Forum Supporter

Thanks. I’ll PM you.

it’ll be better than this extension I was going to cut up I’m sure. Was a cheap and nasty ‘do for now’ off ebay

Parm likes this.
  10. brightspark

brightspark Member

the plug in extension leads are flexible cored thin cable it needs to be single core to fit in to the master socket with a croning tool

James1979 likes this.
  11. James1979 Forum Supporter

Is that what they’re actually called? I never knew that. I’ve used the corner of a credit card in the past...

Parm likes this.
  12. brightspark

brightspark Member

yep u can use that or a Stanley knife blade and press them in if u haven't one

James1979 likes this.
Advertisements