Phase converter

1. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

A pony motor and belts/pulleys/ropes/whatever seems like more work to me!
    I'll have a look-see what cap starts my 7.5 HP motor and let you know what value - are you going for 240 or 415?

Dave H. (the other one)

maz0 likes this.
  2. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

Blimey, I've been Keeping Records...

7.5 on 240 would want 400-600 uF start cap, live (well, one supply line) to generated phase, on 415 150-200 uF
    Balancing caps start about 125-150 uF live to generated, 70-85 uF neutral to generated on 240, 40-50 Live to generated, 25-30 neutral to generated on 415.
    These are starting guesses, you may need to add/remove a bit to get a) good voltage balance (with the load attached) and b)good power factor (find the value that gives lowest input current, then step back a bit)

It's Very Sensible to put bleed resistors across the start capacitors, saves on unpleasant surprises - on 240 2w 39kOhm would work, on 415 2w 100K - on the start cap(s) only, the balancing caps will discharge through the motor windings

Dave H. (the other one)

maz0, Seadog and Rig Pig like this.
  3. Retired Forum Supporter

Hi,

I ran my own 3 phase 415V installation for about ten years it costing under £120 to install; the transformer weighed around 75kg. I found the details on eBay and spent £17 for the three instructional DVD's from America. It's called "unique3phase" and I must have been the first here in the UK to install it successfully; I used to run my big extractor and ten speed industrial bandsaw from it; this gave full power just like having 3 phase from the electricity company installed.

I dreamt up using a "shuttle" to add the coils and I'm credited by Doug the creator for this. This big transformer was so quiet I added a large lamp to indicate it was powered up; at idle it only pulled 0.8A. When I had installed mine Doug put a guy in Wales in touch with me; this guy wanted to run two big heat pumps into his farmhouses; I suggested using Doug's transformer method but he decided to go with a big rotary converter; after he had installed it he emailed once again for my advice; the converter was keeping his whole family awake at night due to noise.

I sold my big machines a while ago and sold the transformer to a friend who is a sparky so I was happy I wouldn't be electrocuting anyone.

For full details please contact Doug;

http://unique3phase.com/

Kind regards, Colin.

3 phase_0001.JPG

Adding coils using my shuttle idea.

3 phase_0002.JPG

Rock steady 415V.

3 phase_0003.JPG

75kg of beast.

Under power on test..JPG

I won't discuss how this is done because it's so highly dangerous and I don't want to electrocute anyone. Please contact Doug direct if interested I'm just adding this to let members know it's available. Here it's on test under power.

Dexy likes this.
  4. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

I read on another forum that everything on those DVDs can be found in an evening or two through google - how lazy are we, though?
    It's just a static convertor run from a step-up autotransformer, the "generated" leg is run at a higher voltage than the others to allow for the usual carppy static-convertor motor power loss by boosting the start and run capacitors' source voltages a bit. Nothing magical, not efficient.

I put my RPC together mostly from what I found on Practical Machinist (they have a forum for them) for the "mains power" side, a bit of head-scratching for the control circuits, took longer to draw 'em up to jog my memory when needed than to work out how...

Dave H. (the other one)

P.S. - my converter would have come in well under £120 had I not wanted bells and whistles like volt and current meters on each phase, RCD on the output, relay logic and fault alerts etc... I haggle, and watch out for bargains :)

maz0 likes this.
  5. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

I've said words to this effect before. It is not true 3-phase despite protestations to the contrary.

Hopefuldave and brightspark like this.
  6. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

johnny max and Retired like this.
Advertisements