Peugeot 106 repair

1. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

i would swap the bottom arm off the saxo if the bush is bad before getting out the
    porto power

2. JuniorRod88

JuniorRod88 Junior Fabricator

02/08/13 Meeting Report/ In car camera box/BANG!!!

Hello folks, not my best of meetings to say the least. I left the house at 6:20pm and arrived at the track 15 minutes later. I went over to the scrutinizing point, Before i said anything, the fair scrutineer exclaimed "That's more like it now!". I was supposed to rectify the 4 degrees positive camber on the drivers side front wheel for this meeting. I changed the strut, hub and spring. He was the "fun" scrutineer who would let you off with the slight variation in the rules. He knew rightly there was still positive camber on the wheel, but i wasn't going to complain, because at the end of the day, it's benefiting me.

That done I got the lend of a tracking bar and adjusted the wheel alignment so she had 2mm toe out. I took the car out on a practice and was quite impressed with how the car was gripping. She did tail quite a bit on the last few bends though. All the tire pressure were at 35psi were raised to 39psi after the heat produced in the practice.

This morning i (badly)made a small box for an in-car camera(my phone) Which was to be mounted on the roll cage, held in place by to jubilee clips.
    I recorded the first and second heat, sort of...

[​IMG]

I the first i heat i was starting on the outside front row, which means second in stock car terms. When the green flag dropped i was beside the other 106 who was under powered and was easy prey, i drove on the outside line over the course of three laps i managed to pass him. He decided to go on the offensive and try to spin me, but i got away. I held 1st for the remainder of the race. #17 did start to catch me in the second half of the race, by the end of the race he was a car length away from my back bumper. In car video below...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws-Je1L6ziw

The second heat soon approached, This time i was starting in first position, which is always nice. I held first for most of the race. The track was damp and on nearly ever corner the car was tailing. I had built up a lead of half a lap(one eighth of a mile) from the other two cars.

In 1988 Aryton Senna qualified first for the Monaco GP. During the race he built up an astonishing lead of 50 seconds. McLaren Engineers instructed him on the radio to slow down on the last few remaining laps after he posted a new fastest time on lap 59. On lap 65 of 78 Senna Hit the barrier just before entering the tunnel.

I'm afraid to report that i gave the car a shunt on the last lap of the second heat. Costing me the race and quite possibly the next race meeting. I was fine apart from some bruising on my left shoulder. The car wasn't just as fortunate to say the least.

I got the car home and dad set her in the garage with the fork lift...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Damage Assessment

-Smashed Gearbox Casing
    -Broken P/S Drive shaft
    -Cracked Brake disk
    -Sheared bottom arm mount
    -Possible bent strut/hub
    -Scrap wing bumper and slam panel
    -Brake hose pipe which connects to the caliper has sheared off

So then, dad left after receiving an emergency breakdown call(generator broke down) which he had to attend. I meanwhile, set about work on the car. Took the bonnet, wing, bumper and slap panel off. Followed by the radiator which was, surprisingly water tight!

[​IMG]

I then realized she was going to need a corner set into her again at the very least. It would be far handier just to put a new front end onto her. So that's what i think we'll do. Instead of having to weld down the bulkhead again which is a horrible task.

With that realized, i dropped the engine and box out. The box has been stabbed by the oil thirsty killer called Mister drive shaft, who perished in the incident also.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow, well there is plenty to be done. I'll take the seat out and the dash. I'll Drain the fuel tank, Probably near empty anyway as i was going to refuel after the second heat. Never mind i think i'll take the tank and fuel line out al together and save any fuss. I'll remove the loom, and give it a tidy up. I'll Remove what's left of the front suspension(ARB, drivers side strut etc). I'll take the doors off after that. I'll also separate the gearbox and engine, as they haven't been getting on well lately.

I need to talk to that wonderful man, Wee Rab, to see if i can get the number for the man who specializes in peugeot bits, to source a front end.

Shopping List

-Front end!
    -Wing(s)
    -Bonnet
    -Bumper
    -Gearbox
    -N/S Drive shaft
    -N/S Strut and hub
    -N/S Brake Caliper
    -Disks and Pads
    -Bottom Arm(Current might be salvageable)
    -Gas Regulator for mig
    -Mig wire
    -Primer and paint
    -Flap disks
    -Slitting disks
    -Brake fluid
    -Gear Oil
    -Engine Oil
    -Spark Plugs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPK_llFCKV0

All for now, comment, complaints and criticism are greatly welcomed.

Sam

3. JuniorRod88

Front End Dis-assembly/Sore Head and Shoulder/Need to stop this carry on!

Basically when out today and took everything off the front end of the car. Along with the fuel tank. I'll just Let the pictures talk, Extremely tired at the moment.

Gearbox is F**ked..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dash Board and loom Out of the car..
    [​IMG]

Steering Rack and column out of the car. Seat, Pedal assembly, Gear lever/Linkage, doors and D/S wing off the car...
    [​IMG]

Bay is empty, Rack, Brake cervo/pipes, Gear linkage out of the car..
    [​IMG]

Took the fuel tank out along with the fuel line...

Took this as a chance to show you how the Tank Guard was fabricated..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Noticed that i Broke the Vauxhall Vivaro Spring!! Must have been a brave smack!
    [​IMG]

Took the Gearbox off the engine also..
    [​IMG]

^Oily? Seal perhaps?

Can someone tell me if this clutch is in good condition or not, I don't see anything wrong with it..
    [​IMG]

The Thrust Bearing is a bit worn, making a noise when rotated by hand, not bad, but needs to be greased.

Hopefully i'll have time to make up a new set of seat rails as my current set are, well, see for yourself...

[​IMG]

look at that for a weld!!!! Previous owner needs shot!!
    [​IMG]

All that's left to be removed from the car is.. .. Well nothing as far as i'm aware. List of parts need below..

Shell Repairs/Body panels
    -Front end!
    -P/s Wing
    -Slam Panel
    -Bonnet
    -Front bumper
    -Door(s) (optional)

Suspension
    -P/s Strut
    -P/s Hub
    -Bottom arm mount

Brakes
    -D/s Caliper
    -D/s Brake hose
    -Discs+Pads

Transmission
    -Gearbox
    -Drive shafts

The engine, as far as i'm aware is right as rain, but i do want to service it.

The next meeting is on the 16th of August @7:15pm... ...Do you think we can make it?... I don't see why not!

I'm sort of glad I'm are putting the whole front end in instead of the corner again. After we put the corner in the last time, the front of the car was 10mm narrower that factory, so it sort of solves that and help with panel spacing as well.

All for now, more soon hopefully

Comment, complains and criticism welcome

Sam

4. JuniorRod88

Track Closure!!! Sad face!

In Northern Ireland there five stock car tracks. Aghadowey Stock-Car Stadium, Ballymena Raceway, Nutts Corner Raceway, Tullyroan Oval and Portadown Stadium.

Aghadowey Stock-Car Stadium.

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7n_9fygeMo

Aghadowey is/was home to a great many motorsport activities. The Alltrack Rally event is held there once or twice a month, with over 130 cars competing on the motorbike track, stock car pits and track along with the air dome. A drifting event is held on the Motorbike track every few months which draws a large crowd. The stock car racing takes place every two weeks. The stock car track was built in the 1970's and was a huge success then. The track closed in the late 90's due to lack of funding. It re-opened in 2010, where i started out as a spectator. I got my car and started racing there in 2011, and have been every since.

On Monday, i got a call from the tracks promoter, i will not mention his name. He wanted me to attend a drivers meeting on Tuesday night. I arrived at 7pm and the meeting went underway. The hard hitting news was given of the tracks closure was announced. Due to lack of money and spectators. The track was dept free, that's why they are stopping, before they run themselves into debt.

The promoter got the other junior drivers and I into a group and told us we could finish our racing season at Ballymena Raceway. We can trade in our Aghadowey license there for a Ballymena one.

Ballymena Raceway.

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ-njWLjNRo

The first 30 second of the video above is of my class. The track is based on the Ballymena show grounds and circles the football pitch. This track has slightly longer straights than aghadowey which may cause problems for my second gear ratio. The wall at Ballymena is angled/curved, which means if you hit it at any angle you will roll your car! The promoter is a stubborn heure, who wouldn't let the juniors race at Aghadowey if they raced at Ballymena, you needed a separate car for that, the whole reason why we bought the saxo.

I'm going to race the 106 there once repaired, for the remainder of the season. Then who knows???

Nutts Corner raceway.

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMeF1rRty1s

The track is across the road from Nutts-corner circuit which is a popular venue for motorbikes, and track cars. It is in partnership with Ballymena Raceway, which means if you buy a license for Ballymena Raceway, you can also race there with the same license, two for one as it were.

Nutts corner was the premier banger venue for Northern Ireland, which was run by two younger men. In early 2011, these two had a falling out and one of them has abandoned the other and went and built his own track, Tullyroan Oval.

Tullyroan Oval

2011-Under Construction.
    [​IMG]

2012-Complete
    [​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8knlFooTSVU

Tullyroan was built by one of Nutts Corners previous promoters. It was finished in early 2012 and began it's first year with great success. It is in partnership with Speedeworth in England. It is the Premier venue for Banger, Pro-stock, hot rod and 2 litre sierra racing.

I however can not race there, due to there juniors being 1300cc and they have to be fitted with an extreme roll cage, with two large box sections connecting the front and rear chassis legs, running through the car itself. So racing there is out of the question

Four tracks in a radius of 25 miles, isn't going to work. If there is a meeting at each track, every fortnight, the track promoters need to get on well and need to agree on which classes go to what tracks and when. That's why Aghadowey has closed, there were a total of 21 cars at the track at the last meeting, 3 juniors, 3 bangers, 8 euro-stocks and 7 lightning rods. When at Tullyroan oval there were over twice that.

For more oval racing videos go to Ni Oval Tv at...http://www.youtube.com/user/niovaltv?feature=watch

So then... ... Aghadowey is closed so i have two other tracks to race at. BMR(Ballymena Raceway) and NCR(Nutts Corner Raceway). I can trade my Aghadowey license into BMR for one of their licenses, which is compatible with BMR and NCR, So i have the option of racing at both tracks.

I think if i repair the 106 and finish the year at BMR and NCR. Hopefully by that time i'll have the saxo built and i can continue racing in it.

What have i been up to lately? Not a lot to be honest, i can do no more on the 106 until i source a front end. So i have been trying to keep myself busy with other tasks.

My cousin who happens to live next door recently bought a small red mini motto(pictures in previous pages) Which is extremly quick and is quite reliable, He decide that he would buy an aftermarket exhaust which is extremely expensive, and is quite bad looking. So i decide i would make one for him, He agreed and i disappeared into the shed with the arc welder and some pipe left over from a Mk4 Astra exhaust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qp4F3g5p6I

The same day i primed and painted the stand for that mini motto, bright yellow...

[​IMG]

So that's about it to be honest. No progress on the car, until i source a front end which will be difficult, i could use a s2 front end but i may have to do a few modifications to fit the s1 panels. Nothing drastic, but the slam panel has captive nuts which i'll have to cut off, as they are on the s2 front end already.

All for the moment

Comments, Complaints and Criticism Welcome

Sam

5. JuniorRod88

High On Paint Fumes/Repaired Inlet Manifold/Hunting for a Front End.. ..Still/ Gearbox dis-assembled

So then folks, I trust we are well. I haven't done a lot to be quite honest. I have been searching under every rock for a s1 106. By chance i spotted one on Monday night, while on the way home from work. It was sitting in a mans garden with weeds half way up the wheels, so it hasn't been on the road for a while. I will make inquiries next time i'm passing.

What i have done has been fun. I painted a variety of engine bay items...

-Steering rack
    -Engine mount
    -Gearbox mount
    -Pedal assembly
    -Brake linkage

Also painted the steering column supports and steering column. Pic whoring...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the paint isn't perfect but it will keep oxidation at bay and should help take the tatty look off the bay.

I fixed the minuet leak in the inlet manifold with some jb weld. I hen made new gaskets and fitted it back to the engine..

[​IMG]

Noticed that on 2-3 of the inlet valves have a strange black stuff on them, What is it??

[​IMG]

I also ripped the gearbox apart, because i'll never had one to play with before!!, wanted to see the internals.

[​IMG]

Then today i drew this

[​IMG]

That's about it folks.

Comment welcome

Sam

6. Cris B

Cris B Every day welding is a school day

Fair play Sam, you really are going great guns on this car :)

Keep at it and hope to read a race report again soon.

7. JuniorRod88

Hello, What have i been up to?....

​Well to be quite honest, i haven't been doing a whole pile since the last update. Going by my last post, i was faffing about painting bits and pieces.

Before i smacked the car, i had a plan. A plan to race the 106 at Aghadowey, and to build and race the Saxo at Ballymena and Nutts Corner. The plan has be disrupted by the closure of Aghadowey. I have decided that i would be wasting my time fixing the 106, and racing at ballymena. Because the whole point of buying the saxo was to race her at ballymena and not the 106.

So, i have decided to build the Saxo, to race at Ballymena Raceway and Nutts Corner Raceway. Once i have her sitting ready to race, I will start work on the 106 and keep her as a spare car. The saxo will be an "arched" car and i will keep her tasty for as long as possible, and when the 106 is repaired, i wont be too picky about her.

Now... What have i actually been doing lately. Well after deciding what to do, i set about working on the saxo.

When you last saw her, she was sitting with the wings off, the interior out and most of the wiring out...

[​IMG]

This time last week i took the windows out...

[​IMG]

Dad helped me take the bonded windows out. I decide that the saxo was in a bad position in the garage, so it swapped places with the 106 so it was closer to the bench..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With everything out of the 106 it was light enough for me to lift the front end and wheel her over to the other side of the shed. Now that she was in position, i could remove the engine and box...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took the remains of the wiring loom off the engine. I'll be making my own loom and i'll be needing the plus from it.

The cage which we will be making is going to be a weld in 6 point cage with door bars. I had a look are the car to see if anything would clash with the cage, and i spyed a roof cross member which fouled the main hoop.

Drilled out the spot weld and no more problem...

[​IMG]

I also drilled out the rear seat belt mounts, and the mount for the parcel shelf.

The engine bay has quite a bit of rot, but i'm thinking about getting the bay sand blasted so, i'll not worry for now.

The plan for the engine, is.. well not a lot to be honest, I'll get the flywheel lightened and i'll redo the head gasket, maybe take a few thou off the head while i'm at it to increase the compression ratio. Not a lot i'm allowed to do to the wee motor. Engine only has 43k! Which is amazing for a 2000 car. I do not intend to build this engine! Because if i replace the rings big end bearing and the whole package, i would never bed the rings well enough for racing purposes. This engine has already been ran in and it is producing max power at the minute. I will clean and paint the engine, and components. Have the engine bay sparkling! Can't beat a clean white engine bay.

Suspension will be standard other than the springs, which will be replaced with vauxhall viva van springs. and i will try and find thicker torsion bars. The whole car will be lowered. The passenger bottom arm will be extended to add negative camber, and the driveshaft will be extended to suit. The drivers side bottom arm will be shortened along with the drive to suit, to add positive camber.

The car will have arches and sills welded on, the doors and tail gate lightened. I will be vacuum forming a battery box from Hardened Polystyrene, instead of Fibreglass.
    The number fins and name plate will be plastic for lightness. I was going to use aluminium but this would be cheaper and lighter. I have a color scheme sketched out but i'm not gonna tell you what it is yet. But i will tell you the interior will be black and the bay will be white. I will make my own loom with a manual fan, switch to disable the alternator, considering a rev clock. I will have a kirky seat with 5 point 3" harness mounted. Might buy a quick release wheel.

The saxo has power steering, but i want rid of it, as it will lose me power, I swap the rack from the blue s2 106 which should fit.

I would like the car looking mint once complete.

That's all i have done i recent weeks, i'm back at school so i need to keep the head down.

I have fitted a drawer to the bench..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you are wondering why it's blue it's because i used that bit of wood when i painted the spoiler for the 106. haha, a bit of character never hurts anyone.

I also screwed a bit of box section to the wall for screw drivers...

[​IMG]

I Bought a few new toys as well, A new Gas regulator for the mig along with some wire...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got an oil pressure tester..

[​IMG]

Most importantly i bought a brand new 3 ton Trolley Jack!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally, i made a clock from some old wood ;) Isn't it racey..
    [​IMG]

I paid a visit to a friend of my dad's yesterday to retrieve our tube bender, as it will be needed for the saxo cage.
    [​IMG]

could do with a clean.,.,.,

Anyways that's about it, hopefully start work on the cage this week.

I fear it may be a while before there is a race report Cris B.

Comments welcome

8. PhillipM

PhillipM Member

Rotherham
    I don't know if it's the same for your guys, but the MSA doesn't allow compression bent cages due to the deformation they create.

9. JuniorRod88

Stock car racing is an amateur sport which doesn't follow under MSA or FIA. My dad used this very same bender when he built a cage for his Nova rally car, and he got it passed by the MSA

10. PhillipM

PhillipM Member

Rotherham
    I know it doesn't fall under the MSA/FIA, just wasn't sure if your regs had something similar.

11. JuniorRod88

Saxo Work/New Purchase

To be quite honest, i haven't been in the garage for about a week, with the exception to get a tool or two. The main reason for this being lack of resources. I have been waiting for my dad to get the arches and roll cage material for weeks now but that hasn't exactly went to plan. Hopefully by this time next week they will have magically found there way into the garage. I can't blame him as he has been working flat to the tin in recent weeks, because iPower have been piling the work on.

I have however found some thing to do. When stripping out the car i noticed that the handbrake was loose and has very large washers holding it in place, when i removed it i was greet by this..

[​IMG]

Mmm lovely 20mm holes. So made a template...

[​IMG]

Then realized it was too big...
    [​IMG]

So i trimmed it down and converted it to metal...
    [​IMG]

I did a test weld on the same thickness of metal, a lap joint.
    [​IMG]

The stripped the area to be patched...
    [​IMG]

And the plate..
    [​IMG]

I decided to angle the handbrake toward the passenger side of the car ever so slightly, because i don't like the idea of it being straight with only one seat in the car...

[​IMG]

I removed the bracket that holds the handbrake switch...
    [​IMG]

The welded the patch in..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cleaned up a bit...
    [​IMG]

And jobs a good 'un. I then removed the small bracket on the tunnel that supports the dash. Which was held in by nine spot welds. Then for health and saftey, and to save me from sitting down and hurting my ****, i cut off all the unnecessary studs which were on the floor. Quite sharp wee ******s!

I have spent the last few weeks browsing the bay looking for bits and pieces for the saxo. Came across a seat on Friday night for £100! Got it bought and shipped over from England, It arrive at my door on monday morning...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lovely Kirkey seat with a padded cover, 20 degree lay back. Nice and cozy. It was a display model in a shop and to mount it in the display they had to drill two 6mm holes in the sides. Because of that it couldn't be sold. The shop manager stuck it on the bay and there i was. The seat which i use in the 106 is 5 degree lay back but then i tilted it back slightly so it was 20 degree.

The two seats side by side at the angle that they occupy in the car..

[​IMG]

The new seat without the cover...

[​IMG]

When my dad built this the shed/garage i am inhabiting with french car, it was initially designed for drying peats, but then he bought a mk2 escort for the juniors and that idea went out the window. When he left stock car racing and went into rallying he moving into the garage around the corner, in the same yard, and from then on the shed was used for storing and drying peats. Then i came along, with my french cars. He put me and the stock car into that shed. Only two faults with this shed, one is that there are only two sockets throughout the whole thing. Two the main wall was built up from timber for ventilation for drying peats. This means the shed is impossible to heat ,and i have a limited power source.

So this week I wired a socket to the bench. It gets power from the extension lead under the bench which powers the radio, and De-Walt battery charger. That extension lead goes to one of the two sockets. The other socket powers a four plug extension lead which goes up above the shed door and down the other side giving me a 15 foot radius of power. If that made sense to you, well done.

[​IMG]

So i have power at the vice now :)

I was digging through the attic the other night and found some old photos of my dads old novas. The first one is his first rally car, he bought it damage(below) and repaired it and rallied for a few years. If you look closely you'll see a set of webbers on the stairs, and a painted engine behind the stairs on a stand...

[​IMG]

The second photo is of me, my three brothers, and two of my cousins, sitting on top of a mk2 nova which my dad was going to build into a rally car but decided it wan't worth it, so he stuck a cage in it and sold it to his navigator who races the stock rod at Ballymena raceway. I'm top left in the picture.

[​IMG]

That's about all i have done this week, but hopefully i'll have made a start on the cage and arches by this time next week. I have set a target for the car to be race worthy, which is new years day, because there is a race meeting on at ballymena every year then, and it's the starting date for the 2014 racing season.

Comments, complaint and criticism greatly welcomed.

12. If that really is you, top left in the photograph, I think you are going to need at least one booster cushion to feel "fitted" in that Kirkey seat, no matter how tight you pull the straps !
    :laughing:

I hope you realise I am pulling your leg ! Some good work going on there !

Regards

13. JuniorRod88

:laughing: Haha, believe me, I'm a big kid now!! All 5 foot 11 of me. Didn't stay that size for long...

14. JuniorRod88

Rear arches repaired/Few more bits taken off/Arches bought/Color scheme decided on/New home around the corner..

Well then, after the last update, i went straight out the the garage again and removed the brake servo and all pipes from the car, along with the calipers. Then i took the power steering rack out to have a wee look at her. The ratios between it and a non ps rack are slightly different. On a standard rack there are four full rotations of the wheel, where as with the ps rack there are only three. f if i can i will use the ps rack for the better/quicker ratios. Without the use of a pump. Or if possible i will swap the ps internals over into the non ps casing. It all depends on which suits best.

[​IMG]

I made a start on the passenger side inner arch a week or so ago. There was a small amount of rot on both arches..

When i started..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Patch made to fit...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I wasn't overly happy about how i did the repair, and i really should have taken more time to do it, but again, it me rushing to try and do it all in the one sitting. But hey ho, it's a stock car! It it was a road car i would probably cut it out and redo it.

Slapped some primer on...
    [​IMG]

The inside of the boot...
    [​IMG]

It will be painted black and will be completely invisible to anyone who doesn't know it's there.

The drivers side wasn't so bad considering i had a new toy to cut out the rot and the patch with...

A wee Nibbler off the bay for £45!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The patch was better fitting this time, and i seem to have found a better way to welding thin sheet metal, with the step pause movement.

Anyway i now have the arches for the car.Split in half...
    [​IMG]

Should sit like this...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hopefully... ... Anyway i welded a back box onto a friend's 1 litre 12 valve corsa last Saturday...
    [​IMG]

It sounds the part!! Pity it's dead as hector.

Dad bought me a set of axle stands out of the blue on Saturday morning, along with a new battery for the tractor and those arches. He's the man!!
    [​IMG]

I have moved into the proper garage now around the corner from mine. Where my dad built the nova rally cars. This is where the saxo will be cages and arched. I can't put up any photos of it now but i will in a tick. This is the garage where we keep the Pillar Drill, The lathe, the bench grinder and the horizontal bandsaw. I'll throw some photos up of it before i cleared out the rubbish and how it is now... give me a tick.

Ive also decide on a color scheme, but i'm keeping that to myself...
    Back in a tick to with garage pics...

15. JuniorRod88

New Garage pics/Rear arches welded on/Trimming Bumper

As Promised the garage pics.

Before i started cleaning up...
    [​IMG]

Two days later, a bonfire and a full grey bin...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No i cannot fly, those picture where take from on top of the spray bay...
    [​IMG]

The spray bay however is nonoperational at the moment due to my dad deciding he wanted to paint the Massey Ferguson 135... ...10 years ago. She has sat ever since. So the car wont be painted in there.

So then the saxo moved into the garage along with the welder, jack, stands, heater and the tube bender. Last night We made a start on the rear arches. As you know i purchase a couple of trailer mud guards, which i have split in half and am going to use for wheel arches...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So the car was easier worked at, dad decided he wanted the car higher in the air. So i made a jack extension...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That done she was reared up..
    [​IMG]

The first step in fitting the arches was to remove the paint, place the arch in position and mark its position. Then remove the unwanted metal and using plyers, bend a small lip inwards on the quarter panel, because it help blowing through on the thin metal. Position the arch. Place a few tacks when you are happy. You should have...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Repeat on the other side. Then we trimmed the excess metal from the inside of the arch and bent it up to add rigidity.
    [​IMG]

I still have the passenger side to trim and bend up in. That's both sides welded on and the bumper trimmed to fit around the arches...
    [​IMG]

I need to source a new bumper before i can fit the front arches so i can see where they finish at the front.
    Where the wheel sits...
    [​IMG]

I am going to run a slightly larger tire than that, but it should clear without a problem, as the wheel will go back as it rises, and i intend on lowering the back a fair bit.That's all we did to be honest, as it was 11pm and a school night.. ... pfft!
    I'll but another arch this week along with the tin for the skirts. Hopefully.

I had a rather good weekend i'll have you know, as i was co-driving for a friend in his rally car, a Mk2 Escort. Which is fresh built! We finished 35th overall and 8th in class. Though is was only a 1.3 and the tires were done. So he's doing really well, considering he's under powered, and hasn't been racing in over a year. He is competing against evo's and larger 4wd cars... video below....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX2uSzwiPp4

I'm sitting for him again at Nutts Corner in a couple of weeks.

Hopefully i'll get more done on the saxo within the next week or so. I'm off work so it should go well.

Comments and complaints are welcome

Sam :)

16. Angusdog

Angusdog Well-meaning amateur

Are you working under the car with it supported solely by that jack?

17. JuniorRod88

Never. Always have another supporting method. When welding the arches on the car was supported by the blue axle stands. The only time it was supported by the jack alone was when we were fitting the bumper, and that was just for handiness. No one was under the car at the time.

18. Angusdog

Angusdog Well-meaning amateur

Phew! Great work as always - never knew so much worth went into stockcars.

19. JuniorRod88

Saxo Lowered(after much drama)/Work on Partner van/New Toys!!

Few new toys bought within the last week...

Set of Vernier Calipers.
    [​IMG]

Tire Pressure Gauge...
    [​IMG]

Dad bought me another pair of axle stands. That four in total, within the last two weeks...
    [​IMG]

Also got a gallon of engine de-greaser...
    [​IMG]

When to the Arch distributor yesterday, the other wheel arch still hasn't arrived and they don't have any tin in stock for the skirts to progress has stopped. Dad has decided that 0.8mm tin would be plenty thick for the skirts.

My dad was away with a mate on Saturday, to Newry. they went in his mates 4x4 and dad left me the van with some work to be done. The front passenger wishbone bush had broken, and the wheel was free to move backwards and forwards half inch either way. So that morning i went into the local motor factor to collect the new bushing. While i was there i got the de-greaser.

Reversed the van into the back garage and got the passenger wheel off. Managed to remove the bottom arm without disturbing the driveshaft. Old v new...
    [​IMG]

New bush onto the arm and back into the van...
    [​IMG]

Gave her a wash with the big blue beastie and parked her infront of the spray bay...
    [​IMG]

Then set about work on the saxo. I have been putting off this job for a few weeks now but i have run out of work with out arches, tin and cage pipe. So i decided it was time to lower the god forsaken torsion bars. I wont bore you with bang bang stories, but i will tell you i got so fed up i took the beam off the car.
    [​IMG]

Once the torsion bars were out i realized i had made a boo boo. I battered the ends of one of the torsion bars so much that the hole had closed up, whoops!!
    [​IMG]

Luckily i hadf the s2 106 to go steal parts from. I have had the torsion bars out of it before so within twenty minutes i had them out.
    [​IMG]

They were looking rather sorry for themselves so i decided to paint them...
    [​IMG]

After that i refitted the beam to the car minus the torsion bars...
    [​IMG]

Then next day i fitted the torsion bars with plenty of grease onto the clean splines. I left 135mm between the top pf the shock mount bolt and the edge of the bump stop platform. Which is basically lowering it by 80mm. Fitted the shocks, arb and the wheels the set her on the ground.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

By the looks of things i am going to have to raise the car again because i have to consider the weight of the cage and other bits still to be fitted which will lower it more. But at least the torsion bars will be free. Need to get some pipe to make up some brake line as the small ones on the rear beam where sheared of by the previous owner.

I did very little after that. I Cleaned up a bit and organised tools. Alos found some brake light which i might use, or i minght use two of the standard brake strips. Will see how things go.

Oh yes and the wee nibler i bought off the bay is a great tool would recommend to anyone who does a lot of sheet metal under 1mm. It's only fault is the waste is produces. It makes wee tiny toe nails which get stuck in the bottom of your shoes...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's about it folks,comment and complaints welcomed

Sam :)

20. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

Sam why didn't you just swap the axle beam with the blue car you had already lowered that done the brakes on it etc
    those trainers need a retread:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Advertisements