Petrol proof lacquer

1. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

I use brush on enamel paint on my stationary engines and even after leaving it to harden for a few weeks find that petrol can lift it :( so looking for recommendations for an aerosol petrol proof lacquer before I just pick the first one to come up on Ebay, Amazon etc. cheers.

Dsc00162.jpg

2. qwakers Member

Robotstar5 and brightspark like this.
  3. Robotstar5

4. qwakers Member

all 2k by definition is petrol proof.

the frost one is a 2k isocyanate activated lacquer, not 1k crap that comes off or lifts if you breathe on it wrong...

Robotstar5 likes this.
  5. Matchless

Matchless Member

and always use premium petrol, less or no ethanol, and that or the catalyst that allows the ethanol to mix with petrol causes the paint lift or better still fffff forgotten the name, special, pure petrol for lawn mowers and chain saws, does not go off and does not strip paint, does not absorb moisture, expensive but great for machinery that sits around unused from time to time,

Robotstar5 likes this.
  6. Aspen is the alkyd "petrol" . Comes in a ready to use 2-stroke mix or a 4-stroke version. £18/20 for 5 litres. Interestingly I know a garden machinery repairer who decided to use it exclusively in his workshop but then found that certain 4-stroke engines were "not happy" on it.

Robotstar5 likes this.
  7. steve_s Member

2k iv painted it on jobs and it looks ok not as good as spraying but ok

8. Matchless

Matchless Member

I used it a lot when I had bikes with old style tank liners, petseal, that melted when in contact with the catalyst but after cleaning the main jet on a rally I did not tighten the bottom banjo bolt tight enough and a whole tank of aspen drained out, no real smell, just started running a bit funny, I did NOT find it funny at all,

9. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

@Robotstar5 Can I ask how the petrol spilled over like that? Overfilling, spilled or vibration when the engine is running? :dontknow:

10. Robotstar5

I think it was just vapour escaping past a 45 year old rubber seal as there was only about half a pint of petrol in the bottom of the tank.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  11. norsa

norsa old school painter

Have to say, I would probably go for a 2k lacquer. Ive done a few non bodywork things with it. Mix the hardener in, no thinners, let it stand for 30mins to slightly thicken and paint on as you would with a synthetic enamel . There are no health issues with the airborne fumes but wear a dust mask and or fresh air as the fumes will dry the throat.
    Nick

slim_boy_fat and Robotstar5 like this.
Advertisements