Peeling lacquer

1. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

Yes, but if there is no adhesion between the lacquer and the base coat (as is the case here) scraping will be far quicker and cleaner.

2. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

In an ideal world, things seldom go that easy, worth a try but if you hand isn't that steady you'll be sanding further :D

3. a111r Member

I wonder if an industrial strength pressure washer would help blow the rest of the lacquer off?
    I used one on my C15 van and it blew through the front wing, which had been filled.

4. anjum Member

The solution really depends on the equipment you have on hand and if you've had any experience painting cars.
    If you have a good compressor, breathing mask, spraygun, DA sander, workshop, different grades or wet and dry etc etc then sand it down to primer, reprime, colour coat, and 2 pack lacquer then flat if necessary/ desired.
    Can you borrow the equipment? If so you could have a go.
    Otherwise leave it alone until you find someone who will do it for you.

5. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Or camo it,look cool
    [​IMG]

No?,guess not:laughing:

sg66 likes this.
  6. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

repairing that kind of mess does not really work and will probably end up looking worse, it needs sanding back smooth and repainting.

MetalMonkey and slim_boy_fat like this.
  7. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    Just to clarify, I know I'm not just going to be able to "repair" that, I'm aware it will all have to come off until I get down to a sound base.
    It sounds like I'll have to give it a coat of base colour too, that's the bit I was unsure of, I was wondering if I could simply key the existing basecoat and re-lacquer it but it appears not.
    What I was mainly asking is what type of paint is available these days?
    I have done some spraying in the past with reasonable results and have decent compressor, half-decent (ish) spraygun and plenty of wet and dry, what I don't have is an airfed mask.
    If the basecoat is sound would I need to use primer or just key it and give it another coat of colour?

8. anjum Member

The question is how do you know the basecoat is sound?
    You could try sanding it and if it seems to be adhering well then you could just recolour and lacquer. Not much lost if it does fail a couple of years down the line.
    You may have t compromise a bit on colour matching.
    On the subject of airfed masks there are some cheap chinese masks which fit on the whole face and connect to a carbon belt worn filter and because they are sealed they need a lot less air cfm, the only issue with them is you need the airflow on before donning to mask or you can't breathe!
    E.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIR-FED-...064867?hash=item4b68c19763:g:EZoAAOSwcHRdTUGH

9. carter13 New Member

All I can say is you mustn't have bought any paint in quite a while.

Personally I would da all the car with 320, full prime as ive found similar colours to be very transparent so easy to mess the job up if you just spot prime. Base then clear. This all depends if you have somewhere to do it and the skill.

10. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    I think I paid something like £16 a litre when I last bought some, Ford Rosso Red or Diamond White maybe. I've probably still got some of it too. :laughing:

11. carter13 New Member

I use Mipa which is a cheap brand, materials for a disco would be alot closer t the £250 mark if you had to buy everything.

12. carter13 New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Materials were near £250 for this and I painted it around 10 years ago.

anjum likes this.
  13. MetalMonkey Member

Cost of paint at my local suppliers has tripled in the last 15 years, especially if you are talking 2K, that is ridiculous now….

Obviously you will have to scrape/sand that clearcoat off, and then test the base to see how well it is stuck, maybe even do a spot test to check for any compatibility issues with your new paint before you waste a lot of time and money repainting the lot – as has been said, it has been repainted at some point, see if you can work out where the original paint job starts – you might be able to just repaint the few panels which would be a lot less hassle than trying to respray the entire thing or blend.

Advertisements