Peeling lacquer

1. 3000alloy

3000alloy Member

My rear roof spoiler on my Focus is beginning to shed it's lacquer skin. Why I have no idea.

What would be the best approach to refurbish this? Sand down to paint and respray lacquer? Sand locally and touch up only the areas effected?

Wouldn't have a clue about bodywork or respraying apart from what I see in YouTube.
    IMG_20200503_172804.jpg
    The colour is race red.

2. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    Same problem on our Disco and the advice I was given by those in the know on here was not to try and rectify it but get rid of all of it down to a sound base, prime, colour coat then lacquer.

3000alloy and anjum like this.
  3. Ruffian Member

Repaint and lacquer,
    But will have to remove majority of material to make sure you have a decent key and wont try to eggshell under the new material.

3000alloy likes this.
  4. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    sand it down as far as the factory primer and repaint , you wont get a decent job trying to add more clearcoat on its own

3000alloy, anjum and tom2207 like this.
  5. tom2207 Member

very hard to sort out , you can take the bad look off it very easily with rattle cans and a bit of effort , but it wont really be a fix , just a bluff.

3000alloy likes this.
  6. MyHouseIsOnFire New Member

80 grit it to bare metal. When clear coat starts doing this the base coat and primer will be contaminated. So sanding the clear coat and base coat away and leaving the primer will surely mean you will do it again next May.

3000alloy likes this.
Advertisements