Pattern parts - bad quality

1. Crater Creator

Crater Creator Member

Fully agree with the points made on the jacking point being omitted, for me it's more just a "cosmetic" thing to make it look original. But if I'm putting it on I want it to be functional, even though I'll never use it.

Olderisbetter likes this.
  2. keithski122 Member

uk
    I've got a 60 beetle, it has the original jacking points and I would have no problem in using them to jack the car up.I must agree that a lot of vw stuff is junk unfortunately a lot of owners just want cheap stuff.As mine is modified I tend to fit stuff that is not made for vw's.

3. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

I've always wanted a beetle but it never seems to happen for me...I've come close a few times but finding a descent one is pretty difficult. There are plenty out there that people think are descent but are just rot boxes. Don't get me wrong...I have nothing against rot boxes, it is what it is after all.

Jacking points should work as intended in my view...if you choose not to use then thats fine of course....but they should work I think.

4. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    That is beyond bad, in the old days you would take it and the jack to the place you bought and ask them how it works :laughing:

Sadly that's been through 3 sets of quality control and you the 3rd one was the only one who spotted something wrong. I'd understand if the jsut was tight fit or something like that but out off by a country mile

Pigeon_Droppings2 likes this.
  5. Am333rcr Member

Scotland
    Hi

I have bought my share of brit part stuff. At least you don't need to worry about them being seized on :D:laughing:

6. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    They are a car where hiding horrors is easy. Unlike camper vans the prices on Beetles did calm down a few years back, I've got a project that I bought for £250

7. dannyp Member

britpart :( had one of there steering arms fitted on my old disco once and it snapped when i went to turn off the A40 doing about 70, lucky that truck tracked straight and that bit of the road was straight, lift off and down the gears while arse is eating the seat, that chould have really really hurt

8. Olderisbetter

Olderisbetter Forum Supporter

Yep if you keep an eye there are a few beetles at the right price but look on gumtree and the likes as ebay your up against so many bidders, A guy by me found a 1302s in not bad condition for £300 but he is going to turn it into a torsion beam front end...

9. keithski122 Member

uk
    Anyone looking for a beetle should consider an autrailian import.Thats where mine came from and for a 57 year old beetle its incredibly rust free.Both doors are original and unrepaired/rust free as are the heater chanels and jacking points.Its had a floor pan repair in the past around the battery area and I've done the bottoms of the a posts.It may have also had a repair to one of the rear 1/4 panels.Bonnet,wings and rear are either missing or fibreglass.
    [​IMG]

Olderisbetter likes this.
  10. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    1302 always used to be pick of the bunch if you wanted something to drive. Macpherson front end but still had the flat screen. Only downside you get that bulbous nose.

I haven't driven a beetle or camper on the road in 25 years but I still love them. I have one of each in need of restoration, I've owned the van longer than I've known my wife.

Got a couple of friend who are well into Miinis, they always chuckle at the vacant look on my face when they start talking about them. :laughing:

11. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Wow I didn't realise you could pick them up so cheaply...I remember wanting one really badly back in 1997 but prices were insane...something like 3k-5k for a really nice one. I might have to look for one once I've completed my next 3 project cars which are waiting in line!

12. keithski122 Member

uk
    Problem with the cheaponesis the amount of workto bring them up to standard and as discused the cheap parts are crap and the better parts either unavailable or expensive.To my mind its always best to get the better, more complete base than the cheap option.I'm basing this on experience after rebuilding a £50 beetle in the past.After buying and fitting doors,floors,heater channels.lower rear 1/4s,front lower 1/4s.front wings,rear wings,rear bumper hangers, front bumper hangers,front bumpers, rear bumpers,new interior, engine,paint, ect,ect and I was still left with a welded up turd when a more original unwelded car would have been cheaper, better and ultimately worth more.

johnser likes this.
  13. johnser

johnser Member

Also, keep an eye out for import body cuts. I'm not sure if people still do it but they used to chop up the odd beetle from dry states to fill up shipping containers around the campers they were importing. Decent thickness steel that is actually the right shape.

14. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

keithski122....yea I'm going through something similar with my Nissan Figaro project....I think you need to go through the experience of all the possible problems so you learn for next time. Can't put a price on having the experience and being able to spot the dodgy filler jobs being sold as pristine examples. I've never been badly duped but I can imagine it must feel terrible....the closest I came was a celica I bought....got it home and then realised I'd forgotten to ask about the MOT (well I was only young!!)...plenty of brown trousers at the test station but I got lucky and had bought a peach. I still see it driving around the neighbourhood where I live...boy I wish I'd never sold that car!

Advertisements