Patio Side Table Version 1

1. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

Some may have seen on another thread my car boot finds of the weekend which consisted of two heavy cast bases about 30" high.

I decided I was going to make two small patio tables but under the conditions of a challenge, I can only use reclaimed things or what I have lying around, the cost must be under £5 each including the £3 each base cost, so that left £2 for the table tops.

Each table to be totally different .... no problem at all and a simple task :whistle::(.

The bases can be seen here.

IMG_0305.JPG

A bit of flat bar 45" in length was marked at 7.5" intervals and then bent to 60 degrees in my brilliant little Metalcraft gadget.

IMG_0307.JPG

Frame welded up and ready, showing it up against the stand proved it was about perfect proportion wise.

IMG_0308.JPG

My 'they will come in handy' box of a few hundred spanners was raided and laid out at random before tacking on the backside, getting a random look is actually more difficult than you realise, the tacks are only rough at the moment and some of the tacks fought back due to their material..fair bit of spluttering.

IMG_0309.JPG

It looks rough but the 'seen' face looks good, no weld and totally flat...lots more to put in yet, which will be tomorrow unless one of the girls finds me something more urgent to do....to be continued :thumbup:

steve t, andy_v, Wallace and 14 others like this.
  2. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

@cumbriasteve Going to be a fair weight in those by the time you're finished - no chance of them blowing over. :thumbup:

What's the final finish going to be?

3. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

[QUOTE="slim_boy_fat, post: 1155345, member: 5685

What's the final finish going to be?[/QUOTE]

Not fully decided, the base and leg may be matt black but the top certainly won't be painted, probably/maybe wire brushed up to a dull sheen and laquered or left to rust or ???????

Will see how it looks assembled, lots to do yet.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  4. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

For version two I was thinking of a spider web top complete with fly and a spider coming up the leg but I don't have enough small dia round bar, so would have to buy and fail the £5 reclaimed material challenge or think again. :dontknow:

5. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Just cut up the oven shelves.
    She will never notice. :D

Look forward to seeing them complete.

zx9, slim_boy_fat, Parm and 1 other person like this.
  6. Richard.

Richard. Member

Could help you out with that. Got some part reels of subarc wire at work 2.4/3.2/4mm.
    You need a length or two posting up let me know.

7. slim_boy_fat

A cunning ploy :thumbup:, but it could backfire on him......:vsad:

[​IMG]

8. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

Cheers mate, the spiders web is now 241 ideas behind :laughing: but you never know so thanks for the offer :thumbup:

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  9. Richard.

Richard. Member

No problem mate
    If you end up going back to it just let me know. I’m sure I could sort you out with plenty of webbing material.

10. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

The task continues:

I wanted something as a 'fill in' to lose the big areas of space and to level off betwen spanners, so rummaging through shed number 3, the one where only very brave men dare enter resulted in a cobweb covered jar of nuts from circa 1980 ish.

Spanners are horrible to weld, some not so bad but others do nothing but splutter and fight back, slowly getting there though.

IMG_0310.JPG

An hour later and after a quick run over with a flap wheel and we had this.

IMG_0311.JPG

Mug for size.

IMG_0313.JPG

So the good points:

It cost less than £5.

Some of the spanners would have been used by the old fella when he owned a garage, so nice to see them in use again.
    It's heavy and a perfect size for a couple of cuppa's or bottles. :drunk:

The hospital is only 300 metres away if it falls on anyone's foot.

The bad point:
    My wife actually said 'oh I love that', that is really worrying and verging on the scary :o

Somewhere I have an aerosol of car laquer, think I am just going to give it a couple of heavy coats and leave it as that.

Kent, Richard., mpats and 1 other person like this.
  11. Richard.

Richard. Member

It’s really cool Steve
    1 teeny design flaw though mate. Any spillages won’t be contained to the table :clapping:

slim_boy_fat and cumbriasteve like this.
  12. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

If there is any chance of lager spilling my mate will be on his back under the table ready...he hates waste :whistle: and I am sure the patio will survive if he misses. :laughing:

Reminded me of one of my favourite outakes :

13. slim_boy_fat

Spillages? What are those? :drunk:

14. Richard.

Richard. Member

Have a few more mate:clapping:

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements