Painting plastic bumpers

1. Vinny030 Member

Glasgow
    So i bought a 2nd hand bumper and side skirts for my Subaru , they need re painting from blue to silver , question is where do I start ? Do you need a special primer for bumpers ? A know years ago I used to use 1 k plastic primer but this will be done in 2k , not new to using 2k paints ,use them in work have a booth etc , I usually paint bare steel , epoxy then top coat tho haven't done any car stuff , advice would be appreciated ,

2. Ruffian Member

If the paint is good.
    Prep with 320, prime, flat paint.
    If the paint is poor take it back further.

Adhesion aid is used on bare plastic if needed, subaru bumpers are usually pretty good plastic.

Vinny030 likes this.
  3. norsa

norsa old school painter

If substrate is sound, just key it up 6-800 and refinish. Plastic primer is exclusive to bare plastic.

Vinny030 likes this.
  4. Vinny030 Member

Glasgow
    Got quite a few chips in the bumper ,so need filling , a wasnt sure what to use to stop the paint cracking with flexing it being plastic , would I use epoxy primer or just normal primer and the adhesion stuff ?

5. norsa

norsa old school painter

The plastic primer works by dissolving the outer layer of bare plastic as it flashes off to make it sticky. You then drop a 2k primer on it and you're away. If you put plastic primer on a non plastic surface it can't flash so you will not get intercoat adhesion. Your best bet is stopper and then key it locally or totally 400 and 2k primer. Flat that 600 direct gloss or 800 COB.
    Flex is not such an issue with 2k. You can add a plasticiser to your finish coat if you like. However. I painted my rally car plastic bumpers skirts and spoilers with 2k and no Flexi additive. They never cracked and I did many stage events over 10 years before I sold it
    Nick

the snooper and Vinny030 like this.
  6. Vinny030 Member

Glasgow
    What's stopper ? Probably a daft question cheers

7. norsa

norsa old school painter

There is no stupid question where im concerned. It's a fine finishing filler. You could if you want, key up, 2k prime then stopper and re prime if you prefer. Down to time factor really and how many stone chips etc

Vinny030 likes this.
  8. Matchless

Matchless Member

I use topstop gold, do not use a stopper that does not need a hardner,

Vinny030 likes this.
  9. Vinny030 Member

Glasgow
    A get you now cheers for the help no doubt I will be back with more questions

10. norsa

norsa old school painter

Best way to learn. Plus it will educate those who don't have the confidence to ask, prefering to act on something a friend read somewhere.

Advertisements