Painting an old Powerfab excavator.

1. Mr J Morton Member

Hello.

I'm refreshing an old Powerfab, I've been using rustoleum combi color. It doesn't have to be to pretty. The idea was to do a quick job and back into service but it's taking a lot longer.

It's taking around 4-5 coats of paint, so I'm not too impressed so far.

I pressure wash the area to paint with a water based degreaser, then wire brush or fiber disk the area. Then use either white spirits or brake cleaner, wipe down and dry off, some times I dry with a blow torch just to make sure. If the existing paint is still good, it stays but well roughed up with the wire brush, then I paint with a brush.

I've not primed it, as rustoleum indicates it's not necessary. But I wonder if it would be cheaper and quicker to prime it first.

But what primer should I use? To go over a mixed surface, paint and light rust, I wondered about rustoleum damp proof rust primer?

Thanks for any help Jon

2. Ton-up

Ton-up Member

Is it yellow? The rusoleum yellow is renowned for being thin.

wyn likes this.
  3. Mr J Morton Member

Its orange, but I had read that yellow was not good on this forum, I think it's close enough yellow to be the same.

I might try ordering one abit darker as the one I got was too orange and a poor match.

It seems to be staying soft for a long time as well. I put new seals in the rams/cylinder 4 days after painting and despite being careful, the box they rested on peeled the paint off.

I'm abit confused about epoxy primer, I understand it's the best and hardest finish, but would it work for my project?

Thanks
    Jon

4. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

Epoxy is great as a primer and / or undercoat but it is not great for a top coat as it will chalk and fade in sunlight, this won't effect the performance of the coating but it will not look great.
    Overcoat it with a good top coat and it would work very well.

5. Mr J Morton Member

Yes I would put combicolor over it, but are all epoxy primers OK over light rust as it wont be bare metal? I read something about getting one without acid in it??

Thanks Jon

6. chrisg3103

chrisg3103 Forum Supporter

20200627_145132.jpg
    Snap, I started tarting up my powerfab on friday, just before biblical rain and wind hit... gazebo in bits :laughing:
    Anyway, I'm using kubota orange tractol, it's very orange and goes on well.
    20200627_233829.jpg
    This is 2 coats, it runs very easy so do a thin coat then a top coat while the first is still tacky, sort of glues the top coat on.
    Takes ages to harden, but the main machine has been getting battered by rain for three days, with only a few hours for the paint to harden before the gazebo blew away. No water Mark's or anything on the paint

7. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

Personally I would use Jotun 87a
    It's a surface tollorant epoxy mastic which means the prep doesn't need to be perfect, although it will work better if it is.
    The A stands for alliminium which gives a degree of galvanic protection like galvanising would.
    It can be brushed, roller or sprayed but it's thick so need thinned slightly if the weather is cold.
    I've had great results spraying it with a 2.5mm fluid tip in a cheap gravity spray gun and about 10% thinner 17

Brad93 likes this.
  8. Mr J Morton Member

Hold on just a minute. That's a 125wtd, but you have added toys, electric start, extra levers and toys, what do they do?

I'm doing it under a tarp, but thankfully we missed most of the rain! I hope you get the gazebo back.

Are you returning it all back to shiny steel befor painting? That looks like a new piece on top there you have just painted?

I will definitely look into that paint as combi color is not cheap especially after 4-5 coats. And I can still see the steel. I have used the tacky approach with the combicolor in some areas just to get enough on, which does seem to work.
    Thanks
    Jon
    20200630_102635.jpg 20200630_102643.jpg

9. chrisg3103

The top metalwork the original, just wirebrushed and painted. That bit I primed with some old hammerite primer because it was super rusty.
    the throttle lever is just a universal one from amazon, you can probably see in the picture the original is snapped off.
    Seemed a good idea to put the throttle on the control panel rather than behind the seat.
    The key is just ignition, not fancy enough for electric start, seeing as it's a driving version and has a pull start engine its incredibly stealable. Adding an ignition key will at least add a few minutes thinking before they can steal it :laughing: that and it's easier to shut down than having to reach under the machine from the seat.

Rest is just wire brush, blow down with air and wipe with thinners. Not looking for new, just less tatty, someone has already painted over the orange with red so it's very patchy.

20200630_075835.jpg
    Growing to like tractol, it flows very well especially on horizontal surfaces, leaves a glossy finish. Just got to watch the sagging and runs on vertical

Also the gazebo is no more, it survived 2 years which is pretty good for me, roll on autumn when they are selling cheap again :D

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  10. Mr J Morton Member

Thanks that looks like the stuff to use.

This paint job will represent 50% the value of the machine. I had naively hope to do a quick tart up.

Do you happen to know the recoat time?

My missus is not going to he happy with me starting another project!

Thanks
    Jon

11. Mr J Morton Member

My top bit was the same, like the surface of the moon.

You have got good cover with that tractol. And a similar colour as well.

Mine is the wt125, the walking version, and in the back garden with very difficult access, it should cause the thieves to do some head scratching!

Thanks
    Jon

12. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Rustoleum dear and watered down. Jotun or Sherwood Williams epoxy as a base/primer. The topcoat with something like the tractol enamel.

13. Mr J Morton Member

I've emailed Rusoleum to see if they can shed any light on the poor performance I'm experiencing, I'm not to hopeful of getting a resolution though. I've read alot of good things about it, apart from the yellow, but I wouldn't buy it again for this application.

Chrisg3103 sorry to labour this point but are you getting to bare shiney metal and not using any primer? We look to be after the same quality finish, but your definitely winning at it.

Jon

14. chrisg3103

The only part I used primer on was the control panel, the rest was just given a good going over with a wire brush on the grinder to take off any loose paint and key it a bit.
    In an ideal world I would of then primed, but this is a definite bodge it and see operation. Figure the paint that survived that is stuck on pretty good so just use that as a base! As for the bits that went back to metal, time will tell if any rust creeps through, quite probably.

Incidentally I have a wt as well, it's in bits awaiting a proper rebuild, with primer :laughing: that jotun looks very interesting
    The wtd was dirt cheap and advertised as spares or scrap, not even spares or repair. Expected it to be wrecked but could use it as parts for the wt. All it needed was a fuel tank and a service so it owes me nothing
    Also, if you are looking for a hydraulic filter dont buy baldwin pt9179, its totally wrong. Get a Donaldson P171504, assuming it says FBO cr30/3 on the filter lid

15. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    some colours just wont cover ...another option is a coat of white or light grey paint first

16. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

Recoat time for the Jotun is 16hrs this time of year maybe slightly less

17. Mr J Morton Member

Too late, also an FIN FH50486 is also wrong.

I will look for the filter you mentioned.

That sounds like an amazing deal, I wanted a 180 degree Gopher really, they are easier to get through narrow gaps and two moves would have removed the need for a dumper, but nothing local came along in 2 years. I had offered £2000 for a gopher boss with loads of extras last year, he turned it down, but I said it was an open offer if he changed his mind.
    Then while on a beach in Greece 2 months later I saw it sold for £1350 on eBay!

I'm going to order some tractol, and have a think about the primer.

Jotun definitely seems to be the way to go, it's just the price of everything adding up which is stopping me. After a quick add up the paint will have cost over 10% the value of the excavator .

18. chrisg3103

https://www.alexisfilters.co.uk/p171504.html

Is where I ended up getting one, post is as much as the filter but still cheaper than ebay.
    I ordered the baldwin at inlinefilters on ebay, to be fair to them they actually refunded me despite the filter not being in a returnable condition (got oil on it)
    And said they were contacting baldwin to see what's going on.

20181201_103427.jpg
    360 is handy, I bought this about a year ago too :whistle: used it briefly before realizing how wrecked the track rollers were, it's in the process of getting sorted. I swear I'm done buying powerfab's :laughing:

20170528_173200.jpg
    20170528_173121.jpg
    My original wt125
    Not the fastest but easier than digging by hand

How much have you spent on paint? If you have been keeping an eye on ebay these machines tend to go for about £1500 - 2000

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  19. Mr J Morton Member

I almost bought a 360 as well! But I wanted it simple, like me . And a WTD wouldn't fit round the back as the acess is very narrow.

I paid £1300 with three buckets, it was only 15 mins away. But I've spent a little over £50 on the combicolor, so with wire brushes jotun and tractol it's going to be easily £150.

It's already had a new filter two new sets of seals( and new bigger stilson for striping them), 20l of hydraulic oil I should have bought a new digger :p.

To be honest it's a time thing for me, I need to be painting this like I need a hole in the head. I need to be finishing the house really:ashamed:.

20. chrisg3103

Make it look nice theres an extra 500 alone :D just dont paint the hoses as well. Seen a few machines with a total spray gun makeover, hoses, dirt, grease the lot painted!
    Sure you will get your money back easy :thumbup:

Advertisements