Painting a new fuel tank to last a life-time :)

1. Wheely

Wheely Member

Hello, I bought a brand new tank for my Defender as the old one was leaking.

Since I am in Africa and will be soon doing an overland I want to ensure this one will last for a while as finding spare parts is not that easy.

The plan is:

1) Sand-paper the tank to skim the original paint and allow prime to attach to steel (100GRIT)

2) Prime it

3) Light-Sand paper it (400 GRIT)

4) Gravitex it

5) Paint it

Point 1,3 and 4 are sorted, for point 2 and 4 I have some perplexities as it’s the first time I am exploring the ‘paints’ world and there are many choices (very confusing).

In Ghana there is Sikkens which offers some products (TDS attached and on http://www.sikkenscr.com/en/products). If you don’t think these are the adequate ones I can get it from abroad as I go back to Europe often.

· the primer they have is the ‘wash-primer 1K CF’ which is a one component chrome-free, self-etching primer that offers corrosion resistance without the use of metal preps and conditioners – it can be used for priming steel, galvanized steel and aluminum.

Is this the right primer to use or would you recommend me to use another one? I can see online that there are etch-primers, primers, etc… and I am not sure which one would be best for my intended use ( I guess the primer to be used also depends on the pain that will be applied on top?).

With regards to the paint to apply on top of it, Sikkens has either Base coat or Top coat (not sure the difference across the two – great if you could clarify)

· Autobase plus (basecoat): solvent borne basecoat provides excellent coverage, metallic control and sprayability when used to duplicate OEM solid, metallic and pearl color effects. It says that this has to be used in conjuntion with a clear-coat (also available at Sikkens in either 1k or 2k variant). However in the TDS I see that this this paint cannot be applied over acid containting wash primers so it looks like I can’t use this with the washprimer that Sikkens has (?)

· Autocryl plus (top coat): Two-pack acrylic enamel for cars. To be used with hardener P25/35 and Plus Reducers.

Not sure is these are fine as they look more for bodywork than for a use like the tank. Would it be better to use an epoxy/zync/polyurethane/ Polysiloxane type of paint? Any recommendations ?

An interesting chassis coating paint that is the winner of the rust test of Classics Monthly 2013 is Epoxy Mastic 121 which is a is a two-pack surface tolerant high solids epoxy mastic coating.http://www.rust.co.uk/em-121-epoxy-rust-proofing-chassis-paint/c28117/ Would this be suitable for a tank?

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts, much appreciated!!!

Simone

2. vw1

vw1 Member

If any help I used epoxy 121 on my petrol tank on my vw mk2 polo. I sanded the tank back metal and sprayed on the epoxy 121. Only been on for 6 months but all well.

3. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    you want thick epoxy primer , then stone chip and gloss

4. Wheely

Wheely Member

Thanks for your replies - Ye Epoxy 121 seems very good - if I could use something found locally though it would prevent me the challenges in moving around paint - of course unless locally there is nothing good :)

Today I did some further research in town and found the 2 following paints:

BASF MasterEmaco® 8100 AP: Single component epoxy based zinc rich primer for steel
    Berger ZINCANODE 600: A two pack epoxy zinc rich primer.

Any thoughts on these two compared to the ones of Sikkens?

thank a bunch!

5. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    go for the 2 pack ones

6. Wheely

Wheely Member

Thanks @steveo3002 - so you would reccomend going for the Berger ZINCANODE ?

So if I was to choose between this one and the Epoxy 121 which is a two pack modified epoxy high build coating - which one would you recommend me to go for?

cheers!

7. MG David Member

Warwick UK
    Are there any ship chandlers with Jotun epoxy near you?

8. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    the 121 is good stuff...some say relabeled jotun

i have no experience of the other product you mention - only that 2 part products are almost always tougher and more resilient than 1 part products

maybe ask around what else is available for an okay price - anything thats epoxy and used on boats etc ought to be tough

9. Wheely

Wheely Member

Heya,

I found that in Ghana there is a distributor for ZINGA: one-component anti-corrosion zinc coating system - http://www.zinga-uk.com/product-range/zinga - would this be a good coating for the tank rather than the paints mentioned earlier?

anyone experience using that?

10. james butler

james butler Member

i used stone chip paint and lots of it.

11. Using zinga is pointless if you are not removing all paint back to bare metal.

I've used zinga. Its good but has to be over coated with waterbased primer then topcoated, so its easier, quicker and cheaper to just use epoxy then topcoat. The epoxy also has better adhesion (as long as you don't power wire brush AKA polish the metal, then they will both have poor adhesion).

I think you may be going ott. Any paint you put over a new tank is going to last 10+ years, I would think that's a lot longer than your overland?

12. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    can you get any truck bed liners like raptor /cobra localy - thats a tough coating

13. james butler

james butler Member

this might sound daft but couldn't you just get a custom alloy tank? their not that expensive anymore.

14. keithski122 Member

uk
    I think a lot of tanks rust from the inside out.

15. zx9

zx9 Member

+1 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ WHS ^^^^^^^^^^^

Usually caused by condensation in the tank, more likely in Africa by contaminated fuel?

16. Wheely

Wheely Member

Heya,

Here in Ghana I am having a hard time to find epoxy paint whereas Zinga is readily available - so plan is now to:

1) sand-blast
    2) apply zinga
    3) apply gravitex - would I need to apply a water-based primer before applying it?)

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Simone

17. Their recommendation is to use water based primer as the zinga is not very tolerant/resistant to solvent paint. I would imagine with the gravitex being so thick it could well cause an issue if applied directly.

18. Wheely

Wheely Member

ok cool!

and do you guys recommend any treatment for the inner surface of the tank to prevent any rusting from the inside-out in the future?

Advertisements