Paint confusion.

1. Ianbrown New Member

Hi,

I saw this forum pop up time and time again on my long and confusing search through Google for paints that are suitable for my needs.

I am a motor mechanic by trade but a complete novice with paint. My head is spinning with all the different kinds.

Basically I have started hydrodipping, mainly as a hobby but hopefully something that will eventually make me some money. I bought my tank used and it came with a range of 2k paints, paints marked "basecoat", and 2k clears.

I can't use the 2k as Ill be working in my garage attached to my house with little to no ventilation and only have a 3m half mask, painting suit, gloves and goggles.

In light of the dangers of iso contained in the hardener for 2k paint and my lack of safety equipment I have a few questions on my alternatives.

If you could answer these questions knowing I will be painting mainly PP, ABS plastics, steel, alloy and occasionally wood and that I can't use cellulose base coat as it reacts to the ink when hydrodipping and air drying is my only option.

1. Does basecoat(mixed 50:50 with thinners )contain iso? If not are we safe to use 3m mask and will the finish be sufficient for small projects(engine covers ect)
    2. 1k clears - are they any good? Can this be applied over 50:50 base coat.
    3. 1k cellulose primer - can 50:50 base coat be applied over this?
    4. I have some mipa 2k to 1k converter. I plan on using this to enable to to use up all the 2k base I've inherited. Will this be ok.
    5. Water based - opinions? This would be my first option with 1k clear over the top.
    6. Intercoat clear - when mixed with thinners does this contain iso.
    6. Do any of the above contain iso to the point I would need an air fed mask?

Top and bottom of this is I'm looking for a safer alternative to 2k without compromising finish or durability ... Too much.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Ian

barking mat likes this.
  2. barking mat

barking mat Member

Welcome mate, you haven't stated what colour?

Someone sensible will be along soon.

Ianbrown likes this.
  3. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

You'll not be spraying it ? You should be ok to use it.

4. Ianbrown New Member

7. Is this basecoat that's to be mixed 50:50 with thinners considered 2k or 1k

The list is long I apologise.

Thanks

5. Ianbrown New Member

Yes I'll be spraying it, and drinking a pint of it to cool off in this warm weather

6. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    basecoats dont have the iso's in it

its the clears /primers that use hardener that have iso

1k are poor compared to 2k ....if youre looking at turning out quality work with no come backs , then look into being equipped to use 2k

mr haynes likes this.
  7. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    any of the paints mentioned stink to high heavens , dont be thinking because its non iso /water based its fine to be spraying in a home garage , still nasty stuff that will cause problems in joined to your home /close to neighbors

mr haynes likes this.
  8. carbon

carbon Member

Basecoat is either polyester or waterbased neither of which don’t usually contain isocyanates, and It doesn’t require a hardener. It’s only the hardener that usually contains isocyanates. If any of what you have has the manufacturer’s details you should be able to find the data sheets for it

9. postie jon Member

basecoats with thinners generally not 2k,stuff still stinks though,so defo mask required and good ventilation. 1k lacquers give a shine but normally used for cheap jobs where finish isnt that important ie older vehicles . Dont try basecoat above cellulose primer some of them can attack the cellulose & all you will get is a reaction which probably requires stripping back to bare to get rid of. waterbased requir special dryers to get it to cure even then it takes a while between coats so to try it in a shed with nothing is probably impossible . 2k to 1k converter i dont know much about. 2k mostly all isocynates so ful PPe required , been there done that 3m mask crack on ,no fan just get out and wait til the air clears ,but not now ,had a scare got checked out everything is fine so i dont touch the stuff at all now . why risk it wont affect you at the time but some day it will come back and bite you in the ass when your not watching in 40 odd years time.

10. Ianbrown New Member

Thanks for your replies.

I'm a lot clearer now. I think I will continue using solvent base coats as my PPE will be fine for this, I will try 1k clear coat and see what finish I get. Either that or have a play with iso free. I'm not spraying car bodies, mainly small items - engine covers, motorcross plastics, trims, air rifles, games consoles and so on.

With this in mind what primer would you reccomend that isn't cellulose?

11. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    primer will vary on the part , plastic often has a mark on the back side saying what it is , you can then check up with the paint maker whats suitable

i guess something like a transparent plastic primer and some epoxy primer would be a good start

what do others use for the clear coat , 1k clear isnt a patch on what 2k can look and last like , be carefull you dont get a bad reputation by using standard paint ...you mention motorbike parts for example , 2k would stand up to splashes of fuel and oil , 1k wont

12. postie jon Member

i hear epoxy does everything ,not tried it yet.

Advertisements