Oxford 270DP or something else?

1. och29 New Member

I'm looking for a pulse MIG machine, single phase up to 32A. I'm very happy on the TIG side with my R-tech ac/dc 210 so don't need multi-process. Most of the time will be it will be for welding up tables, benches etc from 1.5mm ish section tube. The reason for pulse is that I'd like to 'over-buy' so that I have room to grow rather than be limited with what I can do.
    So far the Oxford 270DP looks like it fits well and is a good price. Any other suggestions/comments?

2. Tom Orrow L

Tom Orrow L Welding Supplies Direct

I've had some hands on time with the Oxford 270 DP and get on really well, customers who've got them quite like them too. The control panel takes some getting used to but once you've got to grips with it its top notch. In terms of value for money on a pulse MIG they're very good.

If you upped your budget somewhat I'd consider looking at a Lorch pulse MIG, never used anything better in my life. @matt1978 could help you with that.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  3. och29 New Member

Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely look into it. What's the benefit over the Oxford? ...sure Google could tell me but better to get real life advice!

Tom Orrow L likes this.
  4. fizzy Member

uk
    Oxford are good and made in Britain so why look for anything else? Keeping jobs in this country benefits all of us!

5. Tom Orrow L

Tom Orrow L Welding Supplies Direct

Lorches machines have got all sorts of programmes and gubbins to make their arc/weld quality second to none. Lorch are well known in the industry for having one of THE best build qualities available on the market. Oxford pulse MIGs are good, and are certainly worth considering but Lorch are in a different realm.

6. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    Assuming you have the budget around £2500 for the oxford machine, you have a few options... all are pretty good, from what I have heard. (I've only used 3 phase pulse MIGs)

Cebora MIG 2060/MD STAR
    EWM Picomig 180 puls

The Lorch S3 is probably top of the pile as far as ease of use and synergic lines are concerned, I had the pleasure of extensively demoing one on steel and aluminium. However, 3phase only, and almost double your budget. It's not in the same league.

I'd go with whichever one has the best dealer within travelling distance of you.

7. och29 New Member

@matt1978 is that the case... any single phase Lorch pulse machines?

Advertisements