Overall the tool i value most

1. SteScouse

SteScouse Member

Picked up a die grinder from Lidl today. First die grinder I've bought and really impressed. Allows you to grind a lot more delicately than an angle grinder.

So for £20 well pleased.

That got me thinking about tools I've collected over the years.

My mains drill is a 680 watt Bosch thats older than my daughter. Her mum bought it for me when we moved in together. Apart from needing a set of carbon brushes i replaced about 8 yrs ago its been faultless, regardless of abuse thrown at it. Still going like new 26yrs later.

And obviously i love both my welders. SIP T1400 inverter arc welder and Clarke 151 EN MIG. If i had to pick between then on value for money its the SIP. But the Clarke still good value i reckon.

But my favourite tool?

This bench. I made it about 7 years ago, and for the last few it's lived outside. This will be its third winter outdoors if my memory is right.

IMG_20191208_155248231.jpg
    IMG_20191208_163631192.jpg

Made from B&Q CLS timber and very little carpentry skills.

Scorch marks from welding are a few months old now. Many grooves from circular saw use, brightest are new from this weekend.

Top glued together with Everbuild outdoor grade PVA glue and a few biscuits to line things up. Know its that glue cos after clearing out the nozzle used the same glue for bench i made for the my shed this summer.

Rest of construction is very big screws and coachbolts. Painted twice now with Cuprinol shed and fence preservative.

And why is it tool i value most? Cos I can take it for granted its there when i need it.

Not used it for a couple of months, but needed it today.

Having a permanent outdoor bench allows you to have a very big work area. I can move this round garden as and when i need to.

But its still stong enough to hold every welding project I've done or can imagine doing.

And all for about £50 at the time it was made. Why buy a workmate from Black& Decker?

On value for money its very hard to beat. Cant think of anything else thats been as reliable. I'll make another one day from necessity i reckon.

But kind of hope its a year or two yet :welder:

2. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Too many to list.
    Tracksaw.
    Multi tool
    Nailguns
    For a start.

Difficult to put a tool at the top as they all have different specialties.

stuvy, mtt.tr and SteScouse like this.
  3. SteScouse

SteScouse Member

Thats the thing tho mate, the bench has no speciality

Its a welding bench, its a woodworking bench. Its for painting on. Used it as extra space for flat packs. Potting plants, compressing suspension struts and even cooked on it once or twice.

Black & Decker work mate left outside wouldn't last 3 days let alone 3 years.

As for a track saw the Festfool jobbies look good but cost a packet. I use 30x5 flat bar and a couple of clamps. Run circular saw along that and i dare say the outcome not too different with the same blade

4. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Nope. Doesnt come close.
    Nothing wrong with the cheaper offerings. Have a festool and two dewalts

No messing with clamps no accidental slips.
    Slap the rail down pop the saw on and cut. Extraction is superb and perfect cuts top and bottom.
    Once you've used one a skilly just doesn't cut it for sheet work

Mattuk, brewdexta, roofman and 2 others like this.
  5. SteScouse

SteScouse Member

Sorry mate, cast that out as a bit of a wind up. Glad you bit tho :clapping:

EDIT. BTW, aint no clamp slipping after i mullered them halfway through the workpiece

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  6. AndersK Member

If you can pick one, you don't have enough :D

bigegg likes this.
  7. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Not the clamp slipping but when cutting agaisnt a straight edge it's possible to wander away from the edge.

SteScouse likes this.
  8. SteScouse

SteScouse Member

Not knocking Pro guys or pro tools mate. First photo above shows ragged edge from ancient jigsaw and cheap blades.

Also shows where i sawed too far cos my eyesight is carp

In your hands Festool tracksaw probably an investment. In mine.... nah

9. SteScouse

SteScouse Member

Thing about my bench i love the most....its scars.

Ya just cant fake that. It is what it is and cant hide it

Doesn't matter if every project was a success or not. Matters it was attempted

Finishing cupboard for camper today realised I'd mistakenly measured the front panel, 10mm.

Did it bother me? Too right. Will it make a jot of difference, nope.

Obviously different if a guy working for customer. But i can be my own critic thankfully

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  10. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

I beg to differ. Your gonna be doing a lot of sheet work on your van. A cheap schepach tracksaw will make your life easier your cuts neater and more accurate and the job quicker.
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppac...QAvD_BwE#product_additional_details_container
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/mac-alli...gB2LhFONbdu136gOePRGIhHHlQaAnVzRoCmqkQAvD_BwE

11. SteScouse

SteScouse Member

I get ya point mate, and if i remember tmw i can take a pic or two that will prove your right.

Same blade on ply gives much more splintering than on solid timber.

Thing is for me on this project, majotity of carpentry will be carpeted over once criteria is met and I'm not under a time limit for insurance.

Doing it all again i think I'd definitely invest on the carpentry side. Welding allows you the luxury of grinding and if need be adding metal

Ya dont dont that luxury with wood. And TBH I aint a great woodworker

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  12. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Jigsaw has 3 settings.
    Turn it to one to stop the pendulum motion and you will get a cleaner cut on ply.
    Can also get cutters to cut on the downstroke. Useful on laminates etc so you don't blow the covering bit require firm downward pressure to stop the tool lifting.

13. chunkolini

chunkolini celebrity artiste

Most valued too must be my Metalcraft Powerbender.
    An amazing piece of kit; it has come to almost define my work big sweepy curves are what it does best.
    Bending 30x5mm strip on it's edge
    powerbender 30x5mm on edge other way up.jpg

30x5mm strip on its side
    powerbender rolling 30x5mm.jpg

20mm solid with no heat. Nearly killed me but amazing
    powerbender 20mm solid.JPG

14. SteScouse

SteScouse Member

You aint seen my jigsaw lol

15. SteScouse

SteScouse Member

Nice mate :thumbup:

chunkolini likes this.
  16. brightspark

brightspark Member

most valued tools snips screwdrivers and pliers :laughing:cant exactly do my job without them :)

17. SteScouse

SteScouse Member

Notice on Metal craft website its a request price item, bit like a Bentley :(

18. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Never understood the saying a good workman never blames his tools.

I replace it with the right tool for the job and crap tools crap finish

19. hunter27

hunter27 Pete

I do a bit of DIY wood work on and off but not enough to warrant me buying a festool track system. I knocked a couple of these out of ply

both different lengths and use my normal circ saw. The blade can't run off either side and they have been great so far.
    I appreciate that they don't have a chip guard and have to be clamped down but they work for me.

20. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

I love all my tools! As @eLuSiVeMiTe has mentioned they all have different purposes.

Occasionally I have given away tools which weren't very good or upgraded

SteScouse likes this.
Advertisements