Outside corner setup for pulse mig on 2mm aluminium

1. hotponyshoes Member

I need to do some long runs on 2mm aluminium sheet.
    Planning to use pulse mig,
    Normally I would set it up inside corner to inside corner so I have 2x 2mm faces to weld against.

In this case I would like some location tabs/slots cut into the sheets which rules out corner to corner setup.

So I have a few options,
    Recess the slots for the tabs by 1mm so I am left with a 1mm face to weld against a 2mm face (red=weld bead)
    15790116796727876614115921572866.jpg

Recess the slots by 2mm and run along the face
    15790119202863723606849825772524.jpg

Or cut holes for the tabs so they slot through and leave a overhang for a fillet. 15790123125221616840156273663324.jpg

Option 1 looks like the best bet to me although the sheets are over a meter long and trying to hold them within 1mm over that distance might be a challenge but I am thinking I can put tacks on all the tabs then weld the joint runs up.

Option 3 might be the easiest way to hold everything in place but i am concerned i will end up with a distorted edge on the stick out unless i clamp a backing bar to that as well somehow.

Any tips?

2. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

You’ll need to use a copper backing bar.

hotponyshoes likes this.
  3. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Option 1 for me. Tack it well then backsteps of about 100mm would be the way I go.

hotponyshoes likes this.
  4. hotponyshoes Member

I was planning to use a length of stainless angle for the backing as A, I can hold it at both ends and, B, I don't have a 1m+ length of copper!

I am planning on putting the tabs about 100mm apart and thinking if I go with option 1 then I can put the tacks on the ends of the tabs leaving the open corners clean and empty for welding

Hood likes this.
  5. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    you're an ambitious man, running MIG on 2mm edge welds, even pulse MIG ;)

The stainless angle should help a lot. Presuming you have a pretty nice pulse program. My Miller would just make a mess of 2mm edges... or maybe it's just me.

Can I ask why you don't want to TIG it? You could absolutely fly along those lengths with TIG.

6. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

I would say Tig would impart more localised heat into the job and distort things a lot more than pulse Mig.
    I personally would use super pulse (double pulse) but I don't think @hotponyshoes has that option on his welder. Having said that single pulse should not be a problem.

Munkul likes this.
Advertisements