Opposite steering

1. nickk Forum Supporter

ADB51C38-986E-4438-9EDB-D970EB9EBF6F.jpeg my old fork lift is turning the opposite way it used to!
    The mechanic who dismantled it over a year ago has health problems and can’t do it and has forgot.i thought just swop the hoses over but the fitting aren’t interchangeable,do I simply turn the ram around?
    The machine has had some problems in the past,in the last 24 years! I’ve replaced the pump at least twice,the reason the mechanic took the ram off was he suspected it faulty as steering was heavy and not smooth,it was sent away and came back with no fault,this is why I’m re assembling it.
    It’s a sambron,with a Perkins P3.

2. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Can you swap them at the pump?

Dcal likes this.
  3. nickk Forum Supporter

Yes,but they’ve never been removed.

4. Fraserb

Fraserb Forum Supporter

If the ram was the only thing removed then it has to be the hoses swapped somehow.

Would be a good anti theft device.

Years ago there was a bike made for a local fete that had opposite steering and pedals, challenge was to see who could ride it the furthest, strangely the distance improved as the beer consumption increased.

Anguz, stuvy, Other Daniel and 6 others like this.
  5. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

hoses might be right swap em at next maifold connection

will swap back to normal watch out for another different connection between them then

6. tom2207 Member

strange that the hoses are long enough and easily put on the wrong way round , but that alone should make them an easy swap . is there a rod linking to the other side , or has it got a ram on too .

7. Bullet2012

Bullet2012 Forum Supporter

Don’t forget it’s is rear wheel steam, so the wheels will turn right to go left and vice versa. Not trying to be clever but it looks like it’s on blocks as opposed to being driven to test.

stuvy, julianthegypsy, Ton-up and 2 others like this.
  8. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

You can get used to riding one of those after a few weeks and then not be able to ride a normal bike apparently:clapping:.

jerrytug and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  9. Ton-up

Ton-up Member

If it's not what Bullet says above then are the fittings in the ram the same or different? If they are different then swap the fittings or if possible, turn the ram around.
    Steer rams are normally just double acting cylinders.

10. tom2207 Member

turning the ram round wont change anything ,,, out will still just make it longer ,, ??

Chillitt, Nomad and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  11. nickk Forum Supporter

The fittings will not allow me to swap around,as I said they’re non interchangeable,as in ones several mm larger.
    Yes it’s on blocks to allow me access and to operate steering and bleed,no way I can go lock to lock without an airport runway:laughing:,and it steers opposite wether up or not.

Bullet2012 likes this.
  12. tom2207 Member

is there a drag link , only one ram that does both sides ?

13. Matchless

Matchless Member

I have two of those push bikes, left the pedals alone, just the steering, £1.00 a go at our village fundraiser, Theydon Bois Donkey Derby, the kids look for ages, think they have it sussed, 6" later, splat, one guy did ride the 30 feet after about 20 goes a few years ago,

eLuSiVeMiTe, Seadog and Other Daniel like this.
  14. nickk Forum Supporter

Yes,one ram.

15. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    One of the guys at work has one of those bikes, occasionally makes an appearance at the workshop for a laugh.

16. AndersK Member

Does it steer with hydraulic joystick? Just swap the two signal lines on it or on the directional valve if you can't swap ram hoses in either end.

jerrytug likes this.
  17. Pete.

Pete. Member

Those hoses have adapters (well, the one in view does). Could be they were reversed by the place that tested the ram.

18. tom2207 Member

do you have a pic of the other connection to the ram , they would usually be the same size ,,, maybe the adaptor belongs in the other end , is the other connection straight , or a block 90 maybe.

19. Ton-up

Ton-up Member

It will if you leave the pipes on the same!

20. tom2207 Member

then just swap the pipes.

Advertisements