Old Vauxhall Astra

1. Onoff Member

I've an old MK3, J reg Vauxhall Astra. 1.4i petrol. What can I say...5 doors, 2 keys, V5. (Clifford alarm from memory). Taken off the road when SWMBO got her "new" car. It did run when parked up. It's been used as a shed ever since and is taking up space on the drive. I've literally been storing sand and cement bags in it. Had a light front ender but comes with spare bonnet. Scruffy as, headlining fallen down, caked in greenery etc. Rear arches need work.

If I had the will, space and facilities I'd take it on as a project...but I don't. Something else is destined for the space it's taking up.

I was thinking to offer it for free, on a Vauxhall site rather than let some pikey take it. Tbh it looks so grotty they've stopped asking!

Omg, the Vauxhall forum, they want your home address, telephone number and dob just to join the bloody forum!

I suppose I'd better ask SWMBO too...

Ashley Burton and stuvy like this.
  2. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    There is someone on here rebuilding a Mk3 Astra, he may be interested.

Why not spend a morning giving it a clean, will probably make it more appealing to someone.

If I was closer I'd take if your hands and let the kids rag it round the field.

3. Nomad Member

The folk on this site (including me) spend far too much time & effort keeping older / oddball cars alive https://forum.retro-rides.org/board/8/general-board
    Let me know if you want an advert put up. Check eBay sold items for ballpark value.
    I like older cars but find they're not very vauable, I recently sold a mot'd Saxo for £100 and have just been given a nearly-mot'able 70s estate car by someone who was loosing their storage.

It would be a shame to scrap it, many fun cars were lost with the scrappage scheme.

Martinb likes this.
  4. keithski122 Member

uk
    I'd scrap it myself.Few years ago I offered my old tired but usable mazda 323 on a forum for scrap value(£70) it included two unused brand new factory wings and a load of other spares, as per usual it was the timewasters that wanted it.....the I'll take it if you deliver it 150 miles and others.In the end I just weighed it in.

jerrytug, Nomad and stuvy like this.
  5. Kayos

Kayos Member

if it was a 3 door I'd say go for it, not much interest in a 5.

Ive had loads of Astra's, always liked the mk3 but the 2 was the one I used to shoehorn more and more ridiculous engines into

6. northwest

northwest Member

I am a "member" on there, no way would I give all the info.

I find the forum less than helpful and the only reason I am there is I have an Asteroid Van. I love it, non-descript non sign written "builderish" van. Usually full of guns:-)
    I will be keeping it for some considerable time as there is nothing I can replace it with.

Well, nothing I like anyway.

7. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    There's plenty of those messers about, my brother used to have a shearing run and he'd have Kiwis come and work for the season. They buy a car drive it the whole time and then leave it at the airport. One year they had a Mk2 Cavalier and they were offering it for free, a friend of mine worked at a garage and guy there was looking for a starter motor for one. They took the car up to him and his reply "It's not in as good a condition as I hoped". It was free and he only wanted the starte motor! He didn't take it. Clearly he thought he was going to make some money on it

slim_boy_fat and stuvy like this.
  8. Onoff Member

Looks like I can get £148 for the old Astra on removemycar.co.uk

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  9. a111r Member

1991 injected, so stick the cat on ebay and wait just 20 mins for the surprising offers.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  10. Onoff Member

I'd had half a mad plan to stick the 1.4i engine in a Capri shell I have here just for something different! Can't be much different to fitting a red top.

I mean, they did the Capri in the 1.3L ohv Kent.

a111r likes this.
  11. Onoff Member

Collection arranged, car going tomorrow.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  12. Onoff Member

And it's gone. When asked "How complete does a car need to be for you to take it?" the chap replied "Cat and a battery!". If pre cat then they'll still take it. They give you a tenner less if no battery.

slim_boy_fat, stuvy and Nomad like this.
Advertisements