old v new gasless welder

1. bugsntinas Member

cork,ireland
    what is or is there any difference between these new inverter type welders over my old clockwork type? i just been told it is going to cost 100 euro to replace the main switch on mine with a second hand switch or 200 euro for a new one. i found a cheap gasless welder on ebay ya know the same design but different name type for £80 so thinking get one of them as if i replace my main switch something else could go wrong.
    this is mine

• IMG_0103.JPG
  2. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Welcome aboard :waving: Have you a link to the machine you're considering? As sure as a cat's a hairy beast it'll be one of the generic Chinese ones, all much of a muchness with zero or very little backup [even under warranty which will undoubtedly say "Buyer to pay return postage" :(, so not worth claiming].

Others, I'm sure will be along to advise, but have you considered a used machine? Some belonging to Members come up in the "For Sale" sub-forum quite often and imo could be a better bet.

bugsntinas likes this.
  3. eddie49 Member

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  4. bugsntinas Member

cork,ireland
  5. eddie49 Member

Your current machine has 6 power settings, from 30 to 135 Amps. According to the label on it, the one on eBay has only 4 levels, from 32 to 100 Amps.
    It is not an inverter machine, it is a traditional transformer type, and I really wouldn't expect that at £78.49 it is even half as good as your present one.
    As long as you ( we ) can work out how to wire it up, I would think that the first switch I suggested, at just £8.63, will fix it.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  6. bugsntinas Member

cork,ireland
    so would you say that one is good value or not?
    i like the idea of the first one you posted but i wouldn't even know where to start with the wiring the yellow one looks easier as it has the screws on the terminals.i have a pic that i took of mine before it went away and they look very similar what do you think?

• IMG_0098.JPG
    • IMG_0101.JPG
  7. eddie49 Member

A transformer-based MIG welder is a pretty simple machine, there is not a lot to go wrong. If the current broken switch problem is solved, I would not expect anything else to fail soon. It's a machine that you know, and has previously worked for you, so after it's fixed it should be fine.
    I don't think paying £78.49 for a new and very basic machine with a lower spec than your present one is good value.
    The first switch that I linked to, at £8.63 inc. postage, will probably do the job. These welder power range switches can be a baffling nightmare ( especially if you try taking them to pieces ). However, that one is just about as basic as you can get. All you need is 1-pole, 6-way, plus an "off" position. There may be some documentation shipped with the switch, and I'm sure that with the help of an Ohmmeter we can buzz out where the wires should go.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  8. bugsntinas Member

cork,ireland
    just seen your reply. well it all went tits up. i bought the yellow one after the guy wanted 200 euro to fit a new one to mine !! said he'd fit it for 30 so gave it too him and 2 weeks later said it wouldn't work in my welder. have sent to switch back and awaiting to see if he has knackered it and if not they give me half my money back. in the mean time lidl was selling a half decent cheap one and of course i missed it cause i didn['t know what was going on with mine. so i've had to buy a cheap cheap one of amazon,£75, it arrived today so will try it out soon my only concern is the torch is live can i swap the old non live one over to this unit?

9. eddie49 Member

Sorry to hear of all your troubles!
    Even more sorry that I'm going to have to add to them by saying that a machine with a "live" torch cannot be made "non-live" by swapping the torch. The "live" means that the trigger in the torch only controls the wirefeed motor ( and the gas solenoid valve if it is a "gas" MIG ). It does not control the welding power - that is always on, and flows from the transformer secondary, via the rectifier, up the torch cable to the tip and the MIG wire. What's missing is a big relay - the Contactor - and the logic to control it, so that the voltage in to the transformer primary is cut off until the trigger is pressed.

[ A few MIGs have the Contactor in the secondary circuit - with all the make/break contacts paralleled-up to handle the heavy welding current.]

I didn't expect that they even made MIGs with permanently-live torches these days... but it's not dangerous, you just have to get used to the fact that the tip will arc against the work before you squeeze the trigger.

10. bugsntinas Member

cork,ireland

just seen your reply. i'm slowly getting used to the torch but still occasionally touch the car with the wire and get a spark or 2 lol.
    it's not a bad little machine but can blow thru quite easily.

Advertisements