Old portamig deceased

1. paul6693

paul6693 Member

manchester
    i have a really old Portamig that worked absolutely fine but since getting it out of the shed it’s completely dead no light nothing. I don’t know the first thing about them but I’ve checked the fuses and they’re good .... is it worth repairing cheers

2. KemppiFrog Member

That sounds like you need to chase the power from the plug onwards. No light suggests a fairly basic fault.

3. paul6693

paul6693 Member

manchester
    Done that it stops at a (forgive my lack of knowledge) a big square lump of metal

4. bwservices Member

Check is the fan 230v or another voltage.if its 230 and not running its a simple break in power,switch or plug etc
    if its a different voltage to the mains then look for a small transformer,which would have a few different voltage taps on it.

paul6693 likes this.
  5. 130 Member

UK North West
    One of those times where a picture is worth a thousand words

slim_boy_fat and More Amps like this.
  6. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

The main transformer?

brightspark likes this.
  7. bwservices Member

The portamig?

brightspark likes this.
  8. Barlidge

Barlidge Member

If you can't trace it then Technical Arc will probably be the best people to take it to, they have all the old Portamig circuit diagrams.

paul6693 likes this.
  9. KemppiFrog Member

I, just looked in mine and while it is a newer and bigger model, the light in the switch should come on when it is powered up. After that, the range selector switch gets more complicated with lots of wires. Can you short out the power 'on' switch, as it might be that? Or at least check that the wires coming out of it are live.

BTW, from looking at the 'technology' in there, it should be well worth sorting out and, unless the circuit board is duff, relatively easy. Need to find out why the 'power on ligh't is not coming on.

10. paul6693

paul6693 Member

manchester
    Thanks for for that I’ll get it out again at the weekend and put some pics up

Advertisements