Old Lathe DRO- Fix or replace?

1. bletchmonster

bletchmonster Member

Evening all. My DSG 1307 lathe came with an no longer fitted Heidenhain D-8225 dro, the linear scales apart from the remains of one lead were long gone!
    Now the readout when powered up appears to work but obviously until it's connected to scales I can't be sure of it.
    Sooo my question is should I get some replacement scales for what was probably a quality readout from maybe the eighties, or should I just buy a complete new kit?

2. Milkybars

Milkybars Forum Supporter

can you loan a scale (plug in somone elses scale to, see if it works correctly) it will probably involve taking the Heidenhain to the scale :)

bletchmonster likes this.
  3. doubleboost

doubleboost Member

I went the other way had proper scales but the display died
    Managed to get adaptor leads and a modern display

4. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    I did that on my big k&t, quality scales with a cheap my feature laden China readout

5. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    Heidenhain parts are scary dear. I’ve got a bad scale on my sip jig borer but unfortunately I can’t swap out as the read signal is quite different

ronan and bletchmonster like this.
  6. bletchmonster

bletchmonster Member

Ooh, scary dear, that very quickly helps with desision making!!! I'm definitely leaning to a complete new kit.
    Obviously dro isn't essential but the DSG has dual french/English dials that are a bit jiggererd and I'm a thou man.
    I looked for the kit that you fitted to your lathe doubleboost, but the website of the firm seems dead.

7. Agroshield Member

Are you 100% sure that D-8225 is the model number of the DRO? I ask because if you search for 'heidenhain d-8225', it appears that the number is something akin to their postcode in Germany.

If you can find a manual for it, there might be some details of what sort of inputs it is expecting. It will also describe the functionality of the unit so you can assess if it will do what you want (for a lathe, you do not need much).

You could try giving GT Precision a call. They know a lot about old DROs and may give good advice.

Will the French dials still work if you want to make something for a BMW?

8. bletchmonster

bletchmonster Member

OK, hands upto that one, I don't know where that number has come from, possibly jotter Cross contamination :doh:.
    Re, BMW, I don't know. I just like warm beer, Cheshire cheese and thousandths of an inch. Not saying they're better, I just prefer them. IMG_20200727_082918.jpg
    IMG_20200727_082952.jpg
    Cheers for the gt suggestion agrosheild, I think I'll have a word with them as they're not that far away.

9. Agroshield Member

Milkybars and daleyd like this.
  10. MBB Forum Supporter

100_1930.JPG £8 digital readout on my Chipmaster

mechman, bletchmonster and fizzy like this.
  11. bletchmonster

bletchmonster Member

Many thanks Agrosheild. Lots of good info there. Apologies, I wrote a reply yesterday and hadn't posted it.

12. bletchmonster

bletchmonster Member

That's a good solution.
    Dro or not, I'm thinking of doing that on the tailstock as that's the bit I struggle to measure the most.
    The graduated quill is completely unreadable.

Advertisements