Oil gun from a grease gun

1. Pete.

Pete. Member

I have two machines (surface grinder and cylindrical grinder) that are fitted with grease nipples except the machines are meant to be lubricated with oil not grease. I had an ancient Tecalmit grease gun with a cast bronze head and more importantly a filler spout so I decided to see if I could convert it to an oil gun. Mostly this involves sealing the gun so that the oil stays inside.

I didn't need the full capacity and wanted it to stand up so I cut the canister down by parting in the lathe.

oil gun  1.jpg
    After that I turned a heavy base from steel for a tight fit in the end of the shortened canister

oil gun 2.jpg
    Then I tig welded that all around and cleaned the weld up in the lathe. Now the oil gun can stand on it's own base no matter how full or empty it is.

oil gun 3.jpg
    I bent some flat bar as a handle and welded it to the can, cut the original grease gun handle down to length and threaded the pickup hole so I could screw in a bit of plastic pipe.

oil gun 4.jpg
    I had to prime it for the first try but once primed I found that it would draw oil up the pipe any time afterwards. It works just fine as you can see by the mess it made on my bench.

oil gun 5.jpg
    So here it is. I have to get a new delivery hose now to finish it off. This old one works but it's a bit leaky when pumping into a nipple

oil gun 6.jpg

2. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Excellent idea. Much better than the piston style jobs

3. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

I need an oil gun. Can’t seem to find any decent ones anywhere though.

the mill has a distribution block and tonnes of small copper pipes so it needs a fairly decent pressure to make sure all the ways are well oiled

julianthegypsy likes this.
  4. tom2207 Member

well done , very tidy.

5. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Have a couple here Brad. Il dig em out tomorrow and see if there any use for you

Dcal, Brad93 and Pete. like this.
  6. brightspark

brightspark Member

Pete. likes this.
  7. brightspark

brightspark Member

looks good :)

8. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    This has been on my jobs list for years, i guess i have no excuses now.

Milkybars, Parm and Brad93 like this.
  9. Turbo Member

Hopefuldave likes this.
  10. Pete.

Pete. Member

Thanks for the link Turbo. I had seen that some years ago but I didn't want to go that route for one simple reason - you need two hands to operate the gun so it doesn't leave a hand free to manipulate the end that connects to the nipple. I use grease guns all the time at work and if you can't get the connector on straight it tend to leak out the side. Not such a problem on a demolition site but I don't want oil all over my workshop floor.

Shox Dr likes this.
  11. Gareth0123

Gareth0123 You'll need 16 pigs to do the job in one sitting!

Have you tried the Nipple shop

12v/24v and manual pump Oil and 00 grease auto lubes can also be picked up for reasonable pennies from commercial vehicle, and process equipment breakers.

eLuSiVeMiTe and 8ob like this.
  12. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

I got sick of the oil gun mess years ago........
    Ripped out all the nipples and made small oil droppers from large grease nipples.......
    the ball bearing/spring variety of oil points, ripped them out as well, where there's no room for the converted nipple (under the cross slide on the lathe)
    They get those hard to remove magnets....slide them outta the way and fill the hole with oil......Luvly......

Brad 93.....
    on my Bridgeport with the pressure lubrication .....there's a pull up spring loaded plunger to auto oil the machine...u prob know......
    Lastly......I use Synth Engine oil for the lub......all my vehicles use it, plenty in stock......

Brad93 and Ali like this.
  13. Agroshield Member

If you have the distribution block and plumbing already in place, the manual plunger-operated oiling pumps are available very reasonably on eBay from China.

Brad93 and Hopefuldave like this.
  14. Agroshield Member

It may be worth doing a trial run with it on its side to see if anything pours out when it gets knocked over. Forewarned is forearmed. If it does spill in that position, perhaps you can add an internal non-spill baffle like the manual oilpots the youtubers use.

Pete. likes this.
  15. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

pop a magnet inside the base.

16. Pete.

Pete. Member

In my pics the base looks think but I made it thick so it extends up into the canister to act as a ballast,

Advertisements