Non-Isocyanate Car Panel Paint

1. MyHouseIsOnFire New Member

Is there any non-isocycante basecoat paint similar to 2k paint in the sense it can be corrected if there are any runs and can be sanded down to get a great show room shine. Thanks

2. RaceDiagnostics Forum Supporter

Base coat paint does not have any Iso in it, it is just solvent or water based, the clear that goes on top has the Iso in it (or more correctly in the hardener).

Base coat is sometimes called 2k basecoat because it is normally used with the 2K clear even though it is not a 2k product in itself, rather is is used with 2k clear.

Base coat is normally hard to screw up as its easy to lay down in multiple coats without runs. If I do screw it up, I sand down the bit usually with a fly in it and then respray the panel or blend it in.

Dcal and norsa like this.
  3. MyHouseIsOnFire New Member

Sorry i meant an alternative 2k Black Gloss which is the final coat (top coat). Paint that needs no clear coat and has a shine of its own paint (built in gloss).

Anyway iv found the perfect paint to avoid the 2k poison of death (2k gloss paints that need an activator to cure).

Synthetic Enamel! It seems more safer paint than the 2k paint. Synthetic Enamel needs no activator/hardener and if its gloss needs no lacquer. Unlike Cellulose paint Synthetic Enamel will go on top of 99% of original or old painted surfaces without any reaction.

What do you reckon?

4. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

What are you painting with enamel? Okay for tractors, machinery, old Landrovers but it doesn’t compare to 2k. Is this for a car?

5. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    is there something equal to 2k? , no not really

nothing is as durable and will shine as well with little to no maintenance

toss up between cellulose and non iso 2k , or base coat it and use 1k clear

Burdekin likes this.
  6. norsa

norsa old school painter

I think someone has confused you with terminology here.

Primer is a coating which acts as an adhesion between your original coating, surface (substrate) and your finish paint. Can also be referred to as a sealer or a surfacer.
    There are many primers available for many substrates and are available in 1k (air drying) and 2K (chemical isocyanate curing).

Top coat is the final colour coat or lacquer coat i.e shiny solid (with pigment but non metallic) colour and are available in 1k (air drying) and 2K (chemical isocyanate curing).

Basecoat is purely a two stage final colour coating which could be nitro cellulose based (celly) or polyester based (2k basecoat).
    They can be solid colour or metallic/mica/pearl colour, generally mixed in equal quantities with appropriate thinner, are non iso air drying but ALL require clear coat.

Clearcoat is a lacquer (shiny) coat without a colour pigment and are available in 1k (air drying) and 2K (chemical isocyanate curing).

Happy to be questioned or corrected
    Nick

vw1, carbon, eSCHEn and 1 other person like this.
  7. norsa

norsa old school painter

BTW. As previously mentioned your synthetic is an enamel which sprays really well especially when heated up. Its very forgiving to inexperience, has a nice gloss finish, very durable and covers most surfaces with few associated reaction issues as it has very low to non solvent content. However. It never fully cures, so any dust nibs or ingress of debris and foreign objects during the spraying process from the environment, which by its very nature is less than sterile, are there for good, though some may argue you can eventually polish out. Once you have used it, you can never put any other type of paint on top. Really, it's perfect for plant or a final cheap blow over pre scrap yard termination.
    Nick

vw1 likes this.
  8. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    ^ we used to put it on old lorrys or skips ...stays soft forever almost it seems

9. norsa

norsa old school painter

Indeed Steve, you've been there. Many Landy's have ended their lives in synthetic

10. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    some of the sellers talk it up to sound something thats decent , you really need to have used some to be able to judge if you want some

can remember everything sticky after using it , nosrils stuck together even though we used masks

11. norsa

norsa old school painter

Forgot that bit. Sticky hair. Nightmare. Quite a pleasant smell mind

12. keithski122 Member

uk
    My brother had his fiesta resprayed in the early nineties.Dropped it off, quick scuff over, quick mask up and sprayed with synthetic.Looked ok and was the bargin price of £100.Wouldn't use it myself though, better stuff about now.

13. MyHouseIsOnFire New Member

Yes its for car panels. I am using 2k now and its great paint bar the death sentence that comes with it but might have to buy Enamel and see for myself how good it comes out. After all you can't go wrong when it already has the shine built into it. Just a case of 1 part paint and 1 part thinners. My worry is when the winter rolls along and drying times are much longer.

14. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    whats it for ? old banger or something nice /loved

15. keithski122 Member

uk
    Doing it with enamel would be like spraying it with thinned down smoothrite.

16. MyHouseIsOnFire New Member

Well there must be a reason why they use Enamel on commercial vehicles and i'm guessing it is because it is more durable than 2k. Surely its common sense to go for 2k on a tractor with all that wear and tear it goes through if 2k was more durable. As one guy said on a reply to one of my post on here "2k is more directed at professionals where time is money etc".

17. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    reason its used on tractors and old lorrys is that its cheap n chearfull , goes over any slapdash prep and looks alright from a distance , modern lorrys with any value will still be done in 2k

norsa and carbon like this.
  18. MyHouseIsOnFire New Member

I understand the angle you are coming from but the whole idea is to avoid ISO regardless if i am painting a work horse or a 911 RSR 2.8 from 1974. No vehicle is worth more than my life!

Lewis_RX8 likes this.
  19. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

I'll get a photo tomorrow of my lawn mower.
    I painted the red bits in synthetic a few years ago.
    Granted I wasn't fussy and it hasn't been washed since it was done, but it's faded and looks cr@p.
    A couple of bits of the chassis were done in 2 pack epoxy and that has faded to gray (as expected) and and yet other bits were done in 2K black.

They have all done the job of keeping the rust at bay but the only bit that still looks good is the 2K black.

If you think synthetic is better than 2K that's fine, but don't bother justifying your decision, just lash it on.

You have been given good advice on here but you mind was made up before you asked.

norsa, carbon and steveo3002 like this.
  20. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    yeah i understand if you arent willing to use 2k , but dont get talked into thinking syth enamel is any thing like it , its not , just cheap rubbish for low value vehicles and skips etc

its also pretty nasty to be around when spraying ...stinks and sticks to everything

norsa, carbon and Dcal like this.
Advertisements