Non iso 2k clear, no idea what im doing

1. owas

owas Member

so I still have a lot of clear left over so getting some practice in before my second attempt at spraying the car, the clear is confusing me.

I thoroughly mix the clear 2:1 with the hardner by weight with 10% thinners.

When I spray it, it comes out with sort of furry bits flying all over the place, hard to explain.

What does it sound like im doing wrong?

It's hard to know what's normal without being shown tbh :dontknow:

2. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    doesnt it need thinners ?

has the hardener gone off?

3. owas

owas Member

Yeah 10% paint shop person said.

I think I've just worked it out, im spraying a mask and left the mix in the gun between coats, half an hour later it's spraying really nice (I think!)

So im supposed to mix it then leave it for abit?

4. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    never used it myself , dont usually need to wait

5. Slowcoach Member

Hi, only thing I can think of is did you mix up straight into a gravity gun or a flat bottomed mixing cup then pour into the gun.
    If the former then there may have been some unmixed lacquer at the bottom of the gun.

6. owas

owas Member

Mixed it in a glass jar then poured it in, it does seem like it just needed to wait.

Not brilliant but it's much better than I managed first time :ashamed: I'll get there eventually

I did do a search and found quite a lot on the non iso stuff not drying, didn't have an issue on the car, dried fine :dontknow:

• IMG_20191110_142347.jpg
  7. owas

owas Member

I can't seem to get a decent photo but im actually very happy with this one, minimal orange peel .

It's BRG, my camera is terrible.

• IMG_20191111_063824.jpg
    steveo3002 likes this.
  8. MG David Member

Warwick UK
    If you have the TDS for your clear it may have a dwell time. That is how long you should leave between mixing and spraying for the chemical reaction to start.

9. owas

owas Member

Ill have a look see if I can find that Info.

I know I should've waited a little longer, but I've cut and polished it already :D

• IMG_20191112_204239.jpg
Advertisements