No arc on red d arc xtreme suitcase welder Need help!

1. barking mat

barking mat Barking at Pigeons

Although between an original Allbright and a Chinese copy???

What 50 dollars ? 25 quid.

I've no idea what a dollars worth.

elhalcon98 likes this.
  2. eddie49 Member

Car starter motor solenoids on eBay USA for Ford, GM, Delco etc are readily available for $10 to $30.

elhalcon98 and a111r like this.
  3. a111r Member

barking mat likes this.
  4. barking mat

Brass, not copper eh?

How come it turns to silvery muck?

5. eddie49 Member

Probably has silver in it: silver cadmium oxide or silver tin oxide.

barking mat likes this.
  6. barking mat

Ahhh....

That clears that one up.

7. a111r Member

Brass just seemed like the material for ease of use here.

8. elhalcon98

elhalcon98 New Member

9. elhalcon98

elhalcon98 New Member

Found this repair kit wonder what yall think ya or nay...says sw200 can i make it work?

• Screenshot_20201114-045219~2.png
  10. barking mat

Look on the Allbright websits, I think yours corresponds to 400 amps.

That's 200 I'd guess?

11. elhalcon98

elhalcon98 New Member

Yes its 400 but cant find no repair kits.. This run in forklifts and golf karts...also found out the name has changed to curtis/albright

12. eddie49 Member

It may work, or you could adapt it to fit, but it would be a gamble. There are so many variants, and most kits I have found are for SW80 or SW200, not SW400.

It seems that Albright is ( or was ) a British company. This UK company on eBay seem to have a lot of Albright contactors and contact repair kits:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2180-42A-Albright-SW180L-Series-Contact-Kit-Large-Tips/133055206878
    You could use the eBay "Contact the Seller" option to ask them if they know the SW400 and if they can advise on a set of contacts that would fit it.

[ Note: I am having second thoughts about my idea that you could use a car starter motor solenoid. There is obviously a difference between a car solenoid and these heavy-duty forklift/golf cart Contactors. In particular, the 12v operating coil on a car is designed for intermiitent, short-duration usage, whilst on your suitcase feeder you might have it on for quite a time during a long weld.]

elhalcon98 likes this.
  13. elhalcon98

elhalcon98 New Member

I as well cant find no replacement parts for sw400 might take that gamble with the sw200...thanx for the help

14. eddie49 Member

If you decide to contact the UK eBay Seller "arccomponentsltd", you may want to tell them the total width of the moving contact bar, the distance between the contact centres, and the diameter of the contact bolts. If they have something that will work but do not want to ship overseas, you can have them ship it to me in UK and I will post it on to you.

elhalcon98 likes this.
  15. elhalcon98

elhalcon98 New Member

Thanx for all. The support looking at taking a gamble and get the sw200 to see what it does....50/50

16. daedalusminos Member

I wouldn't atleast not without further investigation - they might look similar but considering the main difference between a 400A contactor and a 200A one will be those contacts.

It looks as though Albright no longer manufacture the SW400 with stud terminal posts and instead it's supplied with integrated busbars terminals - that could explain the lack of replacement contacts for the SW400 you have.

Here's a link to the SW200 datasheet, you'll probably find the stud dimensions are different...

https://www.albrightinternational.com/wpcms/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/SW200-Data-Sheet.pdf

Advertisements