1. Barrysh New Member

Hi, I have inherited a snapon mig 130 turbo and and want to start learning right at the begining. Haven't got the confidence to use gas so want to start with flux cored wire. Heard on youtube about having to reverse polarity but of course haven't got any instructions with the machine. Are they available to download on the web. Thanks Barry

2. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet #1 Fan of 3M's VHB tape

3. Barrysh New Member

Hi thanks. Is that a generic one or specifically for this snapon/ceroba welder. No mention anyware that it will work with flux core wire or any modifications necessary if it will. The more I read the more confused I am getting. Some people saying no need to change polarity and others saying you do. Only trying to be helpful I suppose.

4. eddie49 Member

You can run gasless/flux-core wire with incorrect polarity, but it won't be much good.
    Normally, your welder is configured to use solid wire and gas, so the torch and wirefeed assembly will be Positive and the return cable and clamp ( the "Earth lead" ) will be Negative.
    To convert to gasless wire, you have to reverse these polarities. Some welders make it simple, by having cables, terminals, and jumpers inside, in the wire spool area, or even on the front panel, where you can easily swap over. Since most flux-core wire is a bit thicker, in theory you also need a different wire feed roller and torch tip ( but I have found that my 0.8mm solid-wire set-up can cope with 0.9mm gasless wire as well ).
    If your machine is not originally built to allow an easy polarity swap, it will have to be modified internally, so you may want to reconsider going gasless.

Advertisements