Newbie question

1. Kevlincs New Member

Hi, new to the forum. Sorry this is a big long...

I have no experience welding and until recently no interest. I have brought a campervan and while it is ok it will need some welding soon and a bit more across the next couple of years.

This has set me wondering how viable it is to learn to do this myself. My dad is not a welder but can "stick 2 bits of metal together" (his words), has told me not to bother as it's thin metal. As said I have no experience but I am a reasonably practical guy.

I have had a look round the forum a bit and know the advice here is usually watch the videos and crack on but I was wondering if it's worth trying a days lesson I have seen advertised to get some basic knowledge and see how I get on. College courses in the evening won't work due to work commitments so a one day lesson seems the best option.

Any thoughts on the above would be greatfully received.

Thanks Kev

2. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

It's worth trying just to see if you have any aptitude for it. Just remember working on a bench in class is different to welding under a vehicle in adverse conditions and the majority of the work is cutting, cleaning and fabricating to get the repair ready before you even go near it with a torch. A friend of mine said you can teach a monkey to mig weld in half an hour, we tried and they don't have the concentration for it and keep knocking off for a grape break.Your other option is to save the money you would spend on tackle and a welder and get someone else to do the work but you are putting yourself in their hands and leaving yourself open to possible bodgers and charlatans.

Nick DV and BarrieJ like this.
  3. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

Might be somebody on this forum that’s actually welding a rusty body...near u...
    Be good to look at how it's done.....
    Cleaned up rusty - painted -sealant contaminated metal needs a skill on it's own....
    Takes a while to get in the swing and then of course u'll be doing it on ur back with ur hand up ur **** kinda thing....
    Hot metal down ur sleeve as well to boot.....hahaha...

Worth persevering tho if u can....can save big buck's but u also need to know what is acceptable for the MOT'er's...
    Perhaps look on Facebook for ur trucks forum, they'll always help....
    I'm a member of the T4 VW forum, always welding going on there.....
    '

4. Kevlincs New Member

Thanks for the advice guys.

Some of this is around cost. Some around quality and some around a little hobby.

I am lucky that none of the welding needed now is structural which is what made me consider trying myself.

Is there somewhere I can look up what needs to be done for mot?

5. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Google will be your friend, although there are Testers on here who might advise.

Kevlincs likes this.
  6. eddie49 Member

Any corrosion that weakens the structure within 300mm of suspension/subframe attachment points or seatbelt mountings will have to be fixed.

Kevlincs and stuvy like this.
  7. Kevlincs New Member

Thanks. I'm safe on that for the minute

Advertisements