Newbie O/A Kit Advice

1. Headboard New Member

Hi everyone, I’m a newbie to the forum, and to welding in general (apart from a few rubbish attempts over the years). I’m looking for recommendations on kit to buy (second-hand) for O/A cutting and brazing shenanigans. Seen quite a few bits for sale, and just need to know what to look out for when buying, if things are obsolete etc. Any advice gratefully received, ta in advance :)

2. willie.macleod

willie.macleod Member

New kits are not expensive, certainly not compared to the costs involved with the fuel itself. Unless you can be sure the kit is complete and has good hoses, working regulators and flashback arrestors I'd be tempted to buy new. Buying unknown secondhand stuff might end up costing you more if you have to look at replacing hoses, regs and flashback arrestors.

3. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    If you can find a gas saver for sensible money, buy one.

outofthefire likes this.
  4. brightspark

brightspark Member

as above good advice :)there's some expensive old crap for sale second hand on ebay and just suitable for the bin . unless it looks mint and hardly used and is all there keep well clear

5. Headboard New Member

Thanks folks, what’s a rough estimate of prices if buying new, including gas? Any recommendations on manufacturers / suppliers?

6. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    In my experience, Oxy has become unpopular among hobbyists many of which will have minty new unused old kit for sale. You see a fair bit of unused older equipment but it can degrade over time so plan on installing new seals etc.

read up on all the safety procedures and find a good spot for the bottles, follow recommendations by the book. Very easy to “accidentally” route your hoses next to where you might be welding and a ton of other pitfalls that you can easily avoid just by studying the subject.

don’t skimp on the cutting torch, they are so cheap as to be almost free so you might as well wait for a really good one. The gas welding kits are what you’re after and a good kit with a selection of tips is somewhat more difficult to acquire. Likewise the gas saver which if you’ve ever used one, you’d never want to be without.

7. Buy new and totally ignore any advise you may get to buy secondhand kit and start repairing/refurbishing it

eLuSiVeMiTe, mtt.tr and WorkshopChris like this.
  8. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    let’s examine the logic of that advice. As soon as you start using anything, it becomes secondhand. At that point according to you, it should be replaced with new. :dontknow:

brightspark likes this.
  9. No, but you don’t start dismantling stuff like regulators etc to replace seals and stuff

WorkshopChris, eLuSiVeMiTe and mtt.tr like this.
  10. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    With the dangerous of o/a why potentially induce another

11. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Why o/a in particular its getting hard to source acty at a fair price something different might be more appropriate. What are hoping to do?

12. To be honest oxygen and acetylene is no more dangerous than any other compressed gases so long as you use it correctly

brightspark and WorkshopChris like this.
  13. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    In a beginner's hands?

14. Beginners should still follow the guidelines, you don’t jump in a car and drive it without learning what you should be doing first

Dieselkid 63 and brightspark like this.
  15. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Because of rules that are enforced, you are far less likely to do your self ill harm and your neighbors with a tig and plasma cutter

16. There are far more incidents with other gases than oxy/act, fact

brightspark likes this.
  17. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    This is pointless. Who rattled your cage?

18. Sorry pal but you are quoting stuff that is incorrect, I’ve only been in the welding industry for over 45 years, 25 of those working for one of the biggest industrial gas companies in the world so I bow to your greater experience

19. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Didn't question your cv allowing for cost of gas it wouldn't be my first choice Not that im without it
    Given how uncommon it is domesticly its of little surprise how few accidents there are, and given how regulated it is commercially same result it even has its own regulations the acetylene safety regs 2014

I presume you missed the "newbie" in the title that was a quote then not followed by training currently being received, and a suggestion of looking at second hand kit one questions sensibility suggesting o/a. But we clearly live in a world inwhich people dont wing it. Yes an adapted quote from your post #14 seems odd as in my day job its not uncommon to repair poor and lethal work, must be unlucky.
    Though id rather your world as rules are the cohesion of society.

20. Didn’t miss newbie at all,, just advised against buying secondhand kit and most definitely don’t start trying to repair it

Advertisements