Newbie need a bit of advice

1. denzal Member

Hastings UK
    right im another mini fan :lol: we have recently bought a mini van with some lovely rust holes were gonna do all the repair work ourselves so firstly we have just bought a SIP 105 DP Turbo is that gonna be up to the job? most the welders on here seem to be 130AMP + :?

also ive read the tutorial very helpful thanx! but once you have done the weld whats the next steps, as there are some exterior welds needed on ours and im a little confused as to how u get it perfectly smooth afterwards? start with grinding i assume but then after that do u apply some anti rust stuff? and how do u get a smooooth finish on the welds? sandpaper?? :? :?:

Thanks Denzal

2. malcolm

malcolm & Clementine the Cat

Hi Denzal, welcome to the forum.

I tend to grind the welds down to the level of the surrounding metal being careful not to thin the surrounding metal. Then use the edge of a steel ruler to check the welded area is level or below the level of the panel work (If there are little bits that are too high then tap them down with the edge of a small hammer). Finally skim over with some body filler, sand and paint.

The biggest problem I have with body repairs is occasionally leaving a pin hole in the weld which lets water through from the other side. It's worth inspecting the weld with a bright light behind the panel, and grinding and rewelding any pin holes.

It is possible to butt weld and then polish to a nice finish. I did this on my MGB exhaust manifold. It takes ages - starting with the angle grinder, then moving on to a file, then decreasing grades of sand paper, finally a bit of T cut if you are really going for a shine. For body work I'd always get it close then finish with filler.

I never use anti rust stuff other than a decent primer. Self etch primer is great when you have to paint a whole car from bare metal, otherwise the zinc rich primers are good.

3. denzal Member

Hastings UK
    ok cool :D

only thing is its quite a long term project and its kept outside so once its been welded it could be a few months before its painted, and ive been led to believe primer is pourous so would maybe encourage rust :shock: i suppose i could primer and paint over in a temporary colour might not look pretty but would keep it protected till its respray? thanks for ya reply :D also is the welder mentioned suitable for car bodywork? being a mini its pretty thin metal anyway lol

4. malcolm

malcolm & Clementine the Cat

I vary with metal treatment after welding. Often I'll leave a bit of bright clean metal untreated in the garage for a few months after welding. It gets a little rusty, but with a quick sand some rust makes an excellent key for the paint. Other times I'll prime.

I'm fortunate to have a garage. I'm not dure what the best plan would be for outside. I'g guess leave the repair in primer, then give it another sand and prime when you are ready for painting. I don't think I've ever had any paint bubbling problems due to water trapped in the primer (other than when I've used a compressor without a water trap to spray the stuff).

The welder will probably not be good for anything over bodywork thickness, but should be OK for the body.

Advertisements