New VFD help please

1. hunter27

hunter27 Pete

Hi All
    I'm struggling with a new VFD to replace my 25 year old one. it's a IMO Jaguar CUB5A1.
    Obviously the connections are different and I would like to re-connect my old external control box and fit the inverter in the electrical cabinet for it's protection.
    I have got the inverter connected to the motor and up and running and wired the external speed pot in but it's the stop/start forward/rev connections I am not sure about.
    My run switch is momentary and N/Open and the stop switch is momentary and N/Closed.
    The forward reverse switch is forward= closed and reverse= open.

On the old inverter all the switches switch to common 0v and had a separate connection to the inverter.
    The instruction book is very thorough but hard to follow I think :ashamed: and I am worried about getting it wrong.
    http://www.drivesdirect.co.uk/Downloads/IMO CUB Manual.pdf
    The control section starts around page 2.13 can anyone point me in the right direction please?

A rough sketch of my existing basic control box wiring and connections to my old VFD.
    Cheers Pete

Remote switch box MOFIFIED.jpg

2. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

The inputs will possibly need a constant input, so your momentary switches may need to have a latching circuit introduced.

hunter27 likes this.
  3. daleyd

daleyd Member

Parameter F02 (page 76) may need changing to allow run from the terminals rather than keypad, then try the switch.

Also as said it may need constant input to run, or that may also be selectable for momentary operation.

hunter27 likes this.
  4. daleyd

daleyd Member

It looks like PLC. will be the output to your switches, and you’ll need the jumper switch set to “source” - use the relay connection example on page 38 as your switches are effectively relays. The other diagrams show sink/source connections for transistor outputs from plcs.

hunter27 likes this.
  5. daleyd

daleyd Member

Also see page 103, this shows that you can assign a terminal to HLD - then connect this to the CM terminal via your NC stop button. This should enable momentary operation for the start/reverse signals, when you press the stop button and open the circuit between HLD terminal and CM then the drive will stop.

hunter27 likes this.
  6. hunter27

hunter27 Pete

Thanks for all the replies I will have another look tomorrow I think I have been under the misapprehension that my controls were all analogue so I have discounted all the digital connections.
    A really helpful guy from IMO who I have been in touch with a few times regarding my old inverter asked me a few questions about my controls but I only managed to Email him late Friday and he replied immediately saying he would Email me back on Monday with the wiring and parameters for my controls but so far I have received nothing even after a mid week reminder Hope he is okay.
    Thanks again Pete

7. daleyd

daleyd Member

I’ll try and pop up a drawing today if I get chance :thumbup:

hunter27 likes this.
  8. hunter27

hunter27 Pete

Thanks that would be brilliant.
    Cheers Pete

9. daleyd

daleyd Member

Hopefully you can see my hand scribbled drawing done while I was trying to feed my 2 year old so it’s not the neatest :laughing:

The fwd/Rev selector is badly drawn on my part but that should allow momentary operation to either forward or reverse inputs. The run button should then energise either fwd or rev inputs, and a push on the normally closed stop button will stop the inverter. X1 (or whichever X input you decide to use) will need to be programmed for the HLD function.

34965623-1026-4C70-88CD-9EB1A82CB184.jpeg

hunter27 and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  10. hunter27

hunter27 Pete

daleyd
    Thanks for this I really appreciate it I will give it a go tomorrow.
    Cheers Pete

11. daleyd

daleyd Member

No probs :thumbup: - don’t forget that as well as the physical wiring you will also need to change some parameters for the way the various inputs behave.

12. hunter27

hunter27 Pete

Hi daleyd just a quick update. I follow your drawing as near as I could but my Fwd/Rev rotary switch only has 2 connections 'on and off' I altered the parameters and I got the VFD to switch on remotely :thumbup: but it wouldn't turn off even after trying to program X1 to HLD, and the Fwd/Rev switch still wouldn't change over either. I have been busy for a few days but today I rang IMO tech help but he didn't seen to grasp that my switches are momentary switches (I noticed later that my switches actually had IMO stamped on them:doh:)

He did eventually mention that latching switches were usually used so I wired a 2 way domestic lighting switch up as per your sketch to try temporarily but ignored the X1 to CM wiring and it worked straight away, I have replaced my old switches now with a rev/on/fwd switch and a new pot.
    Many thanks for your all your trouble looks like we got there in the end.
    Cheers Pete

daleyd likes this.
  13. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

See post No.2 :whistle:

hunter27 and daleyd like this.
  14. daleyd

daleyd Member

Agreed, but the manual does state it should be able to be configured for 3 wire (momentary switches) operation.

15. daleyd

daleyd Member

This is the extract from one of Schneider manuals ref 2/3 wire operation, and the ability to switch between the 2 modes. Having only skim read the Jaguar manual it seemed to me it should be possible to do with this one too, but the documentation was a bit unclear.

upload_2018-11-7_11-31-30.png

16. daleyd

daleyd Member

Good job getting it working, it's a pity it wasn't able to work with the existing switch but swapping the switches out was probably the easiest solution :thumbup:

17. hunter27

hunter27 Pete

:ashamed: Sorry for that I had been in touch with IMO and they led me to believe that my switching (momentary) was possible? I guess it was as there are so many things you can set up but I wasn't having much luck.
    Surprisingly IMO, after saying they would Email me the parameters settings and wiring info over a week ago and after 2 reminders they have still not got back to me !.
    Thanks all
    Pete

Advertisements