new to mig

1. cowboy682 New Member

Hi all
    Just had a sip migmate 130 welder given with gas its a old one,
    l am totally new to welding and mostly will be for hobbyist, the question l have is the gas, is it better to weld with gas or without?
    will l have to change the polarity so l can weld with flux wire not too bothered about welding courses {l am a learn my self fan} lol.

any help would be grateful and advice will be welcome.

thans

2. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

Welcome to the forum:

Welding with gas is by far the best option, cleaner and much easier to see the weld pool as you progress, not the disposable bottles though, they cost a fortune and last minutes.

Gasless wire can be very hit and miss in quality and if you get a bad one it would probably put you off welding for life.

I think but not certain that machine has the change of polarity option, two connectors inside the case near the wire feed, there are a couple of threads on the forum on how to improve that machine if it's one of the older models with easy mods to the wire feed to remove flex of the roller arms and improving the liner with a metal one etc.

Remember you require the right tip for gasless, it is a larger diameter than the plain wire.

slim_boy_fat and cowboy682 like this.
  3. optima21 Forum Supporter

Ive never done gasless welding, but opinion on here is that using gas is much better, the disposable bottles work out the most expensive option, you can get rent free cylinders which you will need to pay a deposit for the cylinder which may be a better option for occasional use (about £50 deposit for a cylinder + £40 gas refill) or for higher usage, renting a cylinder from BOC etc may work out cheaper. not sure if there are any suppliers in huddersfield, but there is a rent free supplier in halifax and a BOC agent in sowerby bridge.

I nearly forgot that using CO2 pub gas is also an option which is cheaper than the rent free option about. I got a cylinder for £40 from a company in elland and refils are £20 a few years ago. co2 lasts much longer than proper welding gases but doesn't produce as nice a weld as argon/co2 mix gases designed for welding. CO2 can be cheaper if you know a pub landlord and they will let you borrow a cylinder.

4. Shoggi

Shoggi Member

Welcome to the forum cowboy :waving:
    In my opinion I would never go back to gasless welding for me it was a pain in the ass
    I don't know much about porality change but there are many members who will be along with great advice

5. cowboy682 New Member

so its gas welding thats better that is what l will be using

6. optima21 Forum Supporter

if you've been using gasless for comparison you can try mine with gas, Im not so far away in Halifax

7. cowboy682 New Member

Thanks for the offer but l have never done any welding so its all new to me

8. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Absolutely the right time to take advantage of an offer like @optima21 's kind one :thumbup:. We all start somewhere and there's no need to feel embarrassed by your early efforts, nobody's born knowing how to melt metal ;) :laughing:

Hear a look at the forum tutorials [green buttons at the top of the page], a good way of learning the basics, but no substitute for 'hands on' with someone keeping you right.
    Oh, and excuse my poor manners....welcome aboard :waving:

9. optima21 Forum Supporter

its a steep learning curve when you try and teach yourself, I can remember doing that back in the day before youtube was around to show you.

10. cowboy682 New Member

Hi all
    sorry not been on this week been busy woodworking, l have had a look at the welder and decided to get a new regulator as the one that is on is damaged see photo where is the best place to get one? not too expensive, and what gas fitting is required to fit the regulator as it is a small pipe for gas?
    20171128_085525.jpg 20171128_085552.jpg

11. cowboy682 New Member

Having thought about it about the offer would it be possible to come and see you this Friday 1/12

thank you

arther dailey likes this.
  12. invicta Member

The Weldquip Shop, link in main menu bar above has the regulator and pipe you need. Always had good service.

Advertisements