New here, need some advise

1. BeetHell Member

Hi there,
    I just bought a Powershack MIG-105F MIG Welder from Europa on the internet.
    I got it to fix the body on the 74 Beetle I have, I read that it is not too hard to do.
    I was wondering, it has the following specs:
    CURRENT RANGE (amp)
    60 - 90

RATED DUTY CYCLE (%)
    10 - 90A, 30 - 60A

INPUT CAPACITY (KW)

CLASS OF INSULATION (IP)
    H

WELDING WIRE (mm)
    0.6 - 0.9

what do all these things meen and would be be good for what I need? I know it is probably too late to ask, but still I would like to know.
    Any other tips as this particular model ?
    Cheers

2. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Well, the current is basically 'welding power'

Duty cycle is how long it can cope continuously. 10% @ 90 means when your set flat out you can only weld 10% of the time- so 6 mins every hour.

Input capacity is how much power it will take from your electric socket- 3kw or 3000watts, eqivalent to the same as 30 (100w) lightbulbs being plugged in.

An IP rating means Ingress Protection, 1st number means resistance to solids, dust etc, the second number means protection against liquids.
    If there is a thrd digit, that is the impact protection element.
    eg IP54 means its virtually dustproof and splash proof.
    The higher the numbers the more protection. Something like a welder would probably be IP21.

Insulation class is a different thing all together. Its the max temperatures the machines insulation will cope with. Not sure exactly of the specifics, but again, the higher the letter, the more protection. 'N' is rated at 200degC, so i expect H to be about 170/180degrees.

Welding wire is the diameter of the wire on the reel you will be using. Your machine will be able to use 0.6mm, 0.8mm or 0.035" (0.9mm)

3. BeetHell Member

Thanks for that, just a bit more.

Hi there,

Thanks for the super quick reply, do you think this would be a good option for doing the body work on my beetle ? I know it is a bit waek, but I need to take it on a plane with me so I had to go for the lightest thing I could find.
    Also, I understand that there are two sizes of wire reel, 0.7 and 5 Kg, how muck welding time/area would I get from these reels ? would I get more from the 0.6 than the 0.9 ? which would be more suited for my needs ?
    One last thing ( as I really know nothing about welding) is the wire simply to conduct the electricity? or does it form part of the weld itself ?
    Cheers

4. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    The wire will form the weld. Its proper name is filler wire, that will give you a clue ;)

As for how much you will get from a roll, i have no idea, having never used either size.

I would say 0.6 was better for body panels. You wont see much variation in how much weld (length wise) you will get from each roll.

5. malcolm

malcolm & Clementine the Cat

For me a 5kg roll would probably last for most of a good car project (sills, floors, wings etc). It's equivalent to 7 rolls of 0.7kg.

0.6mm wire is easier for thinner metal (cars).

6. BeetHell Member

Cheers for the advise.

Cheers for the advise.

Advertisements