New compressed hard airline design

1. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Give the Franzinator a go and if it works then please make me one. :-)

2. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Update; that's the new compressed air system done for now. Will extend it when I hopefully build a spray booth but the extra volume is great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8ob, Fintray, MattF and 3 others like this.
  3. Is copper water pipe up to providing enough flow? I would guess fine for very low consumption air tools and blowing a carb out, but not big enough to flow enough air for much else.

4. dannyp Member

used to flow plenty fine for me, in most systems its the PCL quick release connectors that do the damage

Burdekin likes this.
  5. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

Nice looking system, I bet all that copper wasn't cheap though:scared:.

Burdekin likes this.
  6. dannyp Member

only thing i really dont like is compression 90's on principul that a swept 90 ( or bent pipe ) flows better but still plenty of flow for any singel phase compressor

mangocrazy and Burdekin like this.
  7. MattF

MattF Member

When you look at the restriction imposed by hoses and PCL couplings, 15mm tube is definitely not going to be the bottleneck.

Burdekin likes this.
  8. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

The new system flow and pressure is like night and day compared to my old set-up. Once I hooked up the new system for the first test the flow and pressure after the new receiver was fantastic but if I isolated the receiver and opened up a drain valve the pressure and flow just died. It was also taking my compressor way to long to fill the new receiver, the issue was the regulator on the compressor, it was by far the biggest issue so I bypassed it and flow and pressure is fantastic now. I open up the drain valve and it will drain the compressor tank in no time. Regarding flow with 15mm pipe, if I open the drain at the end it will drain the system in no time, the flow is great. I mainly spray and will give it a test hopefully this weekend or next and I expect a big improvement on how it was previously. Adding another compressor I think would be the next big improvement but I'll see if it is required first.

The new piping system added to get rid of any extra moisture will hopefully work but by far the biggest improvements I've noticed at this stage is the larger volume with the receiver and bypassing the compressor regulator.

[​IMG]

Farside likes this.
  9. I see you are using a low pressure LPG cylinder as a tank.................interesting idea!

10. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

It's pressure tested to 24.4bar, my operating pressure is 8bar. Previously contained propane at a higher pressure and now contains air which is not flammable. I also calculated the minimum thickness for 8bar and inspected the tank. It is safe and no issues with what I have done.

11. AndyStobbs Member

Nice work.

Burdekin likes this.
  12. mangocrazy

mangocrazy Italian V-twin nutjob

Nice looking system - top work! My only comment would be to echo what dannyp has said. Wherever possible I would always use swept 90 degrees and do the pipe joins on the straight lengths. But as you've already seen a significant uplift in performance, that clearly wasn't the performance bottleneck. Good work, well executed.

Burdekin likes this.
  13. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Moved the compressors to the back room and connected the old one up, just waiting on bits so I can join the two tanks. It's quieter through in the main workshop area even with both running and can hardly here them outside so that was a relief.

IMG_20170314_182328690.jpg IMG_20170314_182349560.jpg IMG_20170314_182606777.jpg

14. brightspark

brightspark Member

don't think our lass would like it if I had my comps in the house :)couldn't fit the diesel one in anyhows

15. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

That's not our house, back room at my workshop. Just gave the sofa to a mate and going to be used as a storage room as I strip out the Amazon.

176653_10151283835010948_1719424867_o.jpg 53131_10151283834720948_818565575_o.jpg 326858_10151283835090948_375216209_o.jpg

Jim Davey and galooph like this.
  16. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

17. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

He's doing his impression of the girl in Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. ;-)

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  18. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

Where the heck did he come from:laughing:.

Burdekin likes this.
  19. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Connected the compressors and did a wee test to see how fast each took to fill both tanks and then both together. The old compressor cut off pressure was a bit higher as it ran for about 15sec longer when both going together.
    New - 3.15
    Old - 3.50
    Both - 1.55

IMG_20170320_182342602.jpg

Farside and RaceDiagnostics like this.
  20. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Just added a couple of the old pics back on the thread.

airline 2.jpg airline.jpg

Coffinswell, Farside and delta9 like this.
Advertisements