Need some advice on telecoping square section please

1. We are trying to organise the ladder racks on the new Transit Custom. The rear rack has (and needs) a roller to allow the ladders to be held clear of the paintwork. Standard fit puts the roller at the top of the tailgate door and obstructs it. I have considered a number of ideas including a hinged roller, but the final solution is a sliding roller.

Cutting it down was another option but then the ladder would hit the bodywork.

I now need a couple of lengths of square section metal that another smaller section can slide inside of, something like an engine crane boom, with the same pin and R clip idea for setting in or out.

Can someone suggest a couple of square section sizes that would do that nicely please? I anticipate the inner being something like a 1" square or maybe slightly larger. The roller is an 8mm bolt in each end, so that is the only critical dimension.

IMG_3815.JPG IMG_3816.JPG IMG_3817.JPG IMG_3818.JPG

2. This is the standard configuation of the roof bars, ideal for a barn door Transit but not the tailgate model.

s-l1600.jpg

3. Migmac

Migmac Member

Put the roller on the front bar

4. carbon

carbon Member

Would it be possible to mount the roller to the top of the rear door and not need to worry about someone not sliding the roller out of the way

5. Gareth0123

Gareth0123 You'll need 16 pigs to do the job in one sitting!

12 x12 sq bar fits inside ⅝" ERW box, 20x20x2 fits snuggly inside 25x25X2.5, the next size that fits inside another is 30x30x5 inside 40x40x4 (40x40x5 just jams up solid but the 30 can be sanded to fit effectively using an orbital sander.

6. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    That would be my thought too. I bet someone doesn't put a ladder far enough forward at least once too :)

Hollow section sliding inside another - I'd suggest it wants to be a ****-fit (ISO spec for loose ;) ) - once it's been rained on, got salt spray in it one winter . . .

7. Fritz71 New Member

How about some drawer runners bolted to vertical faces of current brackets that roller then bolts to? Need some way to lock them in position (R clip?)

This sort of thing....

[​IMG]

8. Really useful data, thanks. The design is still evolving in my head.

9. colnerov

colnerov Member

Hi, What about seat runners as fitted to driver and passenger seats. They will take a fair weight and come with a locking mechanism?

Colin

10. excossack Member

Could you load from the side? Maybe a drop down/hinged slider, hook the ladders in, and push onto the roof?

11. gaz1

gaz1 Member

hook under the original roofrack but you need a lock for it to stay in place
    roller on end and roof support when loading

remove and put it inside van

otherwise you will need a bar under roofrack and above to support roller end

Advertisements