Need help with picking my first gas purchase

1. Cosantoir Member

Hey all,
    I'm about to buy my first MIG welder its a Sealy MIG welder and I was going to buy some gas at the same time but im not sure what to buy.

If I want to buy a small bottle of gas MIG/MIX/100 Gas it seems like I need a converter as the welder I want requires a converter. Is there a solution I can get that doesn't cost 60+ pounds

2. Will! Member

In the long run, you'll be better off with industrial bottles anyway, the disposables are a comically expensive way to buy gas. You could make your own hose tail to connect a 4mm hose to whatever the industrial gas fitting is to save a few pounds, but you'll still need a regulator for the disposable bottle.

3. Cosantoir Member

Ive been told that I can use the smaller pub co2 canisters and they would be much more portable for me.

4. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Check that the co2 doesn't have nitrogen in the mix - I believe some do.

Wallace likes this.
  5. a111r Member

No. For this application you need Hobbyweld5 (or equivalent), which is around £113 for the smallest size, 9 litre bottle.
    Then an Ar/CO2 regulator, from £25.

Sounds quite a bit ... but the same money would buy you only around an hour welding on disposable bottles!!

Yes, CO2 is cheaper but I think most on here would say it's not the 'best value' for car work.

Wallace likes this.
  6. a111r Member

CO2 can be found for free; in date expired 2 Kg fire extinguishers.

Much as I like free, and despite inverting them, they still froze up the reg. quickly.
    Which is like an extra, un-needed, very short duty cycle...

Advertisements