Need help guys

1. Scott Marsden New Member

Hiya all I'm new to this forum my name's Scott.

I own a SwitZer sz mig 100

I've tryed all the setting adjusted the wire seed and it just keeps putting holes in the metal I'm trying to repair car body panels.
    It just seem to be putting out touch power anyome know what I can do to fix this thanks inadvance.

• Screenshot_20200910-003204.png
  2. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Hi Scott, and welcome to the forum from another Scott :waving:

What thickness is it you're trying to weld, and what amps have you got set on the welder? You're going to want to get it as low as you can, 30A or lower.

Do you have much welding experience? Reason I ask is that starting on thin car panels ain't the best way to pick up the experience - you'd be better practising on thicker metal first,, then working your way down.

From the picture it kind of looks like you're trying to "plug weld" holes, rather than weld in a patch - is that what you're trying to do? Putting in a patch should be more straightforward - try "spot-welding" it initially, just doing quick blasts to weld spots every few centimetres, rather than weld an entire seam.

Ashley Burton and metalmelt like this.
  3. Craig-SM

Craig-SM Member

Hi Scott and welcome.

Never heard from of the machine but it looks similar to the Clarke ones. Try Min, 1 and wire speed around 5.

The picture you posted looks like it has a coating on it which needs removing to bare metal. Try on some scraps of metal first. It’s easier to weld thicker metal than thin so try something thicker to get started with and then thinner stuff.

You will find with thin, once you start to weld it distorts due to the heat. You need to just do small welds or better still spot welds, allow it to cool and then repeat.

Ashley Burton and metalmelt like this.
  4. eddie49 Member

Yes, too much power is the problem. From the specifications: "Output Current Range: 50-100A". The "low" setting of 50 Amps is about double the power that you would need for thin panels. In addition, the electrical symbol on the data plate shows that the machine is just a transformer. There is no inductor, and no rectifier, so the output is AC rather than the expected DC that would be usual for a decent MIG welder. Gasless wire tends to weld hot, spattery, and smoky, and running it on 50 Amps AC, there's no chance of welding thin panels. If you are into electronics you could fit a rectifier, inductor, capacitors, even an input power controller ( "light dimmer" ), but other than that I'm afraid that the only answer would be to send it back ( if possible ), and buy a more suitable machine.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    a111r, Wozzaaah and skotl like this.
  5. Scott Marsden New Member

I'm going to send it back any recommendations I'm on a tight budget I only paid £60 for the welder?

6. Guzrik Member

Wow that escalated quickly, in general it is always appreciated if you answer the people who try to help you.

7. a111r Member

All these Chinese MIGs are the same, unfit for purpose. Some have an even worse output range, 60 - 90 Amps.
    The new Sealey Mightymig 100 is also included, you'd hope they'd know better?

For that budget you might find a used and probably neglected blue Clarke, 90 to 150 Amp. The problem if you're new to MIG, is that you won't know if it's working properly.

8. eddie49 Member

To be able to suggest how to proceed, it would be useful if you could explain more about what you are trying to do.
    - is this a one-off project, such as fixing a rusty car for MOT? If so, some pictures showing the extent of the problem would help.
    - are you fitting new panels, or covering holes with self-made patches?
    As well as the price of the welder, you need to factor in the cost of materials ( panels, steel, paint, underseal, and especially shielding gas ), metal-working tools, and PPE.
    The cost of gas can be avoided by using gasless, flux-core wire, but most people find this process difficult and messy, especially for a beginner on thin sheet metal in hard-to-access areas.

metalmelt likes this.
  9. Scott Marsden New Member

Nothing has escalated my friend I do appreciate all the help everyone gives me I think you have took what I said and took it the wrong way

a111r likes this.
  10. Scott Marsden New Member

Sorry my mistake I should of been more specific it's to weld a car for its mot I will upload some photos tomorrow I'm trying to weld two complete sills and rear aches

11. Scott Marsden New Member

The welder is also gassless

12. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

Get a Clarke & get welding

chunkolini and a111r like this.
  13. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Huh? What escalated quickly :confused:

I don't see any problems with the original query, responses, and the OP's follow-up :dontknow:

14. Scott Marsden New Member

I don't know but he said it did

skotl likes this.
  15. wacky7791

wacky7791 Member

get gas mate it'll be easier to do bodywork.

skotl, Ashley Burton and metalmelt like this.
  16. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

I don’t think the post from Guzrik was meant in a adverse way, if you read it, it could be taken either way, compliment or not.

17. eddie49 Member

Fitting the complete sills will make the job easier. You can remove the existing ones by using a spot weld drill, and then plug weld the new panels on. The MOT rules allow this ( as opposed to the otherwise mandatory seam welding ) when complete panels are being replaced.

18. Guzrik Member

You asked for help and got it, in the best way, but in stead of trying what was suggested you threw in the towel and send it back.
    At that time I felt a bit dissapointed, now I see my reaction was exaggerated and blunt.

I am sorry.

Hope you can find a better welder, I would suggest one like mine, but don't think they were sold in the UK.
    It is a Concept mig 180/2 turbo, have it for 25 years and happy with it.
    IMG_20200617_181552_9.jpg

• IMG_20200617_181552_9.jpg
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  19. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Image isn't displaying:

upload_2020-9-12_20-49-31.png

20. a111r Member

That looks like a re-badged Sealey/Telwin MIG.

Guzrik likes this.
Advertisements