mysterious metal lathe

1. paulo1974 Member

hello i just bought this small metal lathe it has a 550w 3 phase motor. it says wolf model ttzz0 or tt220. can anyone tell me something about it? the motor says 1982

• IMG_20200130_162946.jpg
    • IMG_20200130_162956.jpg
  2. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

3. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Definitely Chinese very similar to a chester warco or similar

4. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Looked at both their offerings first. All very similar

5. paulo1974 Member

Ok the seller said it is a old lathe (30 plus years) the motor has stamped 1982. i know the are many 1940 and older working lathes.

My first problem is that i have to run the motor is a 3 phase(220/380) on a single 220v line.
    I can buy a new 220v single phase motor or the cheaper version is to add a capacitator to the 3 phase motor and rewire it for delta (220v 3 phase) so it can start on a 220v single phase.
    The frequency variator its a far option because i just break the bank for this metal lathe.

I must also buy a metal knife for the lathe any cheap sugestion? i want a knife that i can swap the cutter tip. i don´t want one that is weld on.

6. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

7. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

A 3-phase motor and VFD has a lot of advantages: variable speed, braking, less vibration and a better finish on the work. A single-phase motor will cost about the same as the VFD, much better idea!

If you have a grinder for tooling it's good to also have high-speed-steel tools, carbide needs more power from the lathe and, more important, more rigidity and the BV20 and similar aren't the most rigid of lathes...

Dave H. (the other one)

8. winchman

winchman Member

Hopefuldave and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  9. Windy Miller Forum Supporter

Kent, UK
    It looks similar to the Chinese/Korean 920 or 918 lathes, but without the gearbox. Looks to have a geared head though. Certainly seems to share some of the castings...

Hopefuldave likes this.
  10. paulo1974 Member

just a correction the motor his a 88 not a 82 as i thought

11. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Advertisements